Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mig help
- - By awevans09 (*) Date 02-19-2005 00:55
I bought a Lincoln SP 135 plus mig welder a couple months ago. Im 13 years old and I plan on using it right now for building a few of my buddies skateboard rails, later on fixing up a 69 nova ss (money permitting), and of corse other odd jobs. Ive grown up in a machine shop and learned some about welding but im still having trouble making good, "pretty" welds. I would like to take a mig class at the local community collage but I dont think im old enough so I was wondering if I could get some advise on setting the wire speed and all that good stuff.

Thanks,
Aaron
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 02-19-2005 01:15
i got one moddel down the tapped version of that one. some things that i found out is that you waant to have the cracking sound. also with mig you are going to want to push the pool forwand and not backwards. i found out that this makes them look a lot better. but for settings for 1/8 steel im am using high power and about the 4-6 on the wire speed dial. ypou are going to want to play around with this because i think the plus version has about 100 mire inch per minute more on the top end.

Brian
Parent - By SLowChild (*) Date 02-24-2005 03:55
YEs, you want your weld sounding like your mother making eggs and bacon in the morning. I once was a skateboarder and my knowledge of building rails is they take a beating,...pushing the puddle makes a nice bead but I advise you to pull the weld because you get better penetration. Be careful.
B
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-19-2005 04:23
HI,
You can go to www.lincolnelectric.com or www.millerwelds.com
They will give you settings and tips for your wire size and gas, along with other help.
I can remember learning stick at your age.
Keep asking questions here, as members of this site have a wide variety of talent to help you out.
Have fun and be safe. You can never know too much.
Jeff
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-19-2005 05:29
If you put http:// in front of your address this site will make it clickable. For example http://www.millerwelds.com is clickable, www.millerwelds.com isn't.
Bill
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-19-2005 13:43
Bill,
My internet skills are somewhat lacking.
Thanks for the tip. Jeff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mig help