Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding 2 Pipes together at a T
- - By Dale Date 02-24-2005 23:47
I often find need as part of various projects to weld pipes together in a tee configuration (such as in a Tee joint). I try notching the end of one pipe with my cutting torch so that it fits nicely against the side of the second pipe at a 90 degree so that I can weld them together. Trouble is my notching effort leaves a lot to be desired and... my weld joint typically requires alot of fill to close the gap. What I am hoping is that someone can give me some advice or perhaps direct me as to where I could acquire a pattern for this task, or better yet how to make a pattern. I most often find myself using 2" pipe but have had occassion to use 3" for various projects as well (needless to say these are not pipeline or pressure application projects). Any advise or direction would be much appreciated.
Parent - By - Date 02-25-2005 01:08
I have found that for small bore stuff (your 2" for instance), putting the pipe in a clamp and then using a side grinder to hog out the required metal works pretty well and can be done quite quickly.

I know also that there are patterns for this. I would google pipefitters' tools or supplies, and I'm sure you'll find something.

Mankenberg
Parent - By olmpkwelder474 (*) Date 02-25-2005 01:44
If ur using 2'' use a grinder not a torch. Shouldn't need to hog out to much for 2" Take one piece of pipe put it up against the other preferably on a flat table. One piece vertical the other horizantal and scratch an arch by sliding a pencil or marker on the horizantal piece and put the marking end on the vertical piece. Transfer the line down to where u need to cut. Quick and easy,then make a template from one that fits up pretty good and keep it since u do this a lot. Theres a more technical way to do this, but we could be here for awhile. Doesn't sound like the stuff ur building is going on the space shuttle.he he
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-25-2005 05:35
Google fishmouth pipe
Lots of people want to sell you something to do this. If you have a drill press you can do it with a hole saw (about the size of the pipe being joined to), you will have to build some fixturing to hold the pipe steady.

Not as neat but if you smash the end of the pipe to about 2/3 of its original diameter you can usually just weld it without trouble.

Search here, there have been other threads on this subject.
Bill
Parent - By DonSun Date 02-26-2005 02:23
On larger stuff we used to print out patterns to wrap around the pipe and trace out. This was on 8-16" spouting. Layed the patterns out in cad and worked from there.

If all you want to do is 90° joints you build/buy a notcher for tubing. They had one at a race car builder I worked at for a while in college. It wasn't too special. If I remember right it had some sort of compound action and used a semicircular punch in a die. Used a long handle for leverage. It was a little awkward to hold the tube in tight to the die and run the handle but it was pretty fast. It doen''t do a perfect job, you still have some flats on the ends of the pipe between the notches which will leave some gap.

Don
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-26-2005 05:39
Divide the circumference of the vertical and horizontal pipes into 4 equal parts. Easy just take a piece of paper and lay it out as the circumference length. Fold it in half and then bring both ends to the middle and you have divided the circumference into 4 parts. Use an angle iron and scribe four lines that extend this division parallel to the pipe length. Measure back the center line distance on two lines 180 degrees apart on the vertical pipe. Use a wrap around and loop it so that the top part of the loop is at the center line dimension. Equal lengths to the two other lines to the end of the pipe. Repeat the loop on the other two lines in the opposite direction. Cut and a little grinding and a tight fit.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-26-2005 19:04
Here is a description of developing a pattern that may be of help. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/pipetemplatesample.htm

Gerald Austin
Parent - By gunpro Date 02-26-2005 19:21
I find in order to fab a nice tee, as on hand rails, if I look at the end of the pipe and mark the center,then leaving about 3/8" on either side of center,cut back with a zip cut on the angle grinder, on a 45degree forming a "fish mouth"and this seems to work rather well for me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding 2 Pipes together at a T