Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / $$$ Justification with Dad and Brother!!
- - By Scaleman Date 02-25-2005 01:03
Have a Kubota tow behind welder and want to get a 12vs Miller suitcase welder for FCAW. Dad and Bro are fighting me saying that $2K is too much. I am saying it will save time in the field and will pay for itself in time. We have a bunch of stick welders for field welding mounted on the trucks for primarily emergency repairs. I think this equipment would increase our productivity big time. I am also trying to see with the waste figured, the cost difference between a pound of 1/8 say 6011 stick versus wire. I remember looking at figures but it seems to me it is less expensive to run wire say 0.45. It would also double as a back-up shop GMAW when not in the field. Also looking for some feedback on durability on said unit as well.

Someone who has some supporting information on this and perhaps some good points to help me prove it I would appreciate it. I am no expert but a part, part time welder. I think I am on the right track though.

Thanks a million!
Parent - By SLowChild (*) Date 02-25-2005 02:39
You surely never get wasted electrode stubs.
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-25-2005 13:57
You could check out the LN-25 that weldingwagon has listed on the for sale board.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-25-2005 13:59
I'm not sure what type of work you are involved in, but many of our erectors are using FCAW selfsheilded wire in the field for the very reason you are looking at this as an option. Just remember that FCAW is a different process and will require FCAW WPSs and welder qualifications, if you don't already have this in place. Don't need to keep a rod oven hooked up 24/7 and maintained at 250F min. for all those lo-hy rods that have been opened for more than 4 hrs or what ever exposure limits you have in your line of work.
just a few thoughts,
John Wright
Parent - By Scaleman Date 02-26-2005 14:42
Our work consists of repairs of steel truck scales. We usually se anywhere from 3/4 to 1/4 steel that would need to be repaired or modified.

Great site thanks for the assistance.
Parent - By awevans09 (*) Date 02-26-2005 04:45
I my self havent used the unit but from what i hear it is a nice machine. I like the fact that it is all in one.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-26-2005 14:41
The VS stands for voltage sensing, it is the welding voltage power that drives the feeder. You can use the constant voltage mig tap or constant current tap. I use a Miller sled type 32 series for welding & wear surfacing. It can use the sixty pound coils and it saves a lot of money. Grousing 84 dozer track pads with stick took 54 to 60 hours at 12 hour days. Flux core cut it back to 24 to 30 hours depending on the prep work.
Parent - By Scaleman Date 02-26-2005 14:45
Would the wear surfacing you mention be the same as hard surfacing? We just did it with Wearshield 60 on a Cat hoe bucket and I agree it takes a long time! I understand I could use this machine for that type of work as well.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / $$$ Justification with Dad and Brother!!