Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weaving more then 3 times the electrode?
- - By olmpkwelder474 (*) Date 02-25-2005 01:32
How importent is it that u stick to this rule of thumb? I was welding a 14" stainless slip on 300 pound flange to shed 80 pipe using tig process. I weaved about a 5/8 leg fillet on there with an 1/8 inch filler and got hollared at because i didn't run 2 stringers. I used a huge gas lens and there was no concavity to the bead or a wagon rut. It looked dam slick and i don't see what the prob was except maybe i got it done alittle to fast for it wasn't an inspector that called me out on this. It had to be PT'd that moring and they wanted another pass on there asap.
I've allways weaved more then three times the filler in all my welding days and never been called out on it. I mean like weaving an open but with a 1/8" 7018 and the cap comes out about an inch wide. Thats more then 3 times the diam of the electrode. So hears the question to all CWI's would u call me out or what do u go by?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-25-2005 08:05
Welcome to the forum!

A couple of questions if I may...

1) what code are you working from, and are there any restrictions regarding the use of a weave as opposed to stringers on the welding procedure specification?
2) What does the drawing you're working from specify including tolerances if available, for the weld size required on the joint?

Sensitization, too wide of a HAZ and other detrimental results could be potential problems associated with welding stainless steels if you're weaving too wide of a bead so, I believe this is what the person who hollared at you was concerned about... I believe personally that this person should've explained their objection to you in a civilized and professional manner so that you would be given the opportunity to learn more about the weldability of stainless steels. Therefore avoiding any animosity... On the other hand, not only is the stainless you're welding getting sensitive - you're also getting too sensitive on being "Called out" by CWI's or anyone else for that matter... we're here to work with you, not against you! The best welders, CWI's, supervisors, engineers always live by the philosophy to remain teachable... They never claim to know it all. So, please do not look at us as the enemy because, we're not!!!

The next questions I have are: what is the base metal composition and the filler metal composition? Is it a 300 series stainless? What are your power source output current settings, gas pre & post flow settings and your flow rate from your regulator?

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-25-2005 13:49
Just a note:
There are more replies in other forum where this was posted also.
John Wright
Parent - - By metalcare (*) Date 02-25-2005 14:11
We had carriedout an extensive study on this subject while developing procedure qualifications. In carbon steel , excess weaving would severely degrade the weld metal impact properties, which is the primary reason why excessive weaving is not permitted. The weld with excessive weaving appears to be with nice, uniform and appealing weld profile but its impact strength would be much lower compared to stringer bead. The impact property is considered extremely important especially on low temperature environments.

In Stainless steel, higher heat inputs lead to carbide precitipation, which could be a source for strees corosion cracking/degradation in impact property (Impact property could be affected by the formation of hard and brittle chromium carbides)

Usually, either stringer or weave bead should be specified in the WPS by the welding engineer. In case of weave bead, it should also specify how much weaving is permitted.

Any comments appreciated.
Muthu
Parent - By olmpkwelder474 (*) Date 02-27-2005 00:54
I posted some more info up in the inspection forum if anyone is following this post.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weaving more then 3 times the electrode?