Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice on where / what to buy
- - By shoppinmama Date 02-25-2005 04:50

Hi to all,

was wondering if I could get some weigh-ins on what kind of welder I might get my husband for an upcoming birthday.

And also where to buy from.

His brother is a welder and recc. a Lincoln sp-175 T for what he would be doing at work, most importantly stainless, which they have to job out seasonally ... he said he really wished he could do it himself, so I am hoping
this will be a good gift and not like me getting a washer or dryer for my birthday!

I am wondering what the big differences are between the sp-175 t and whats called the 175 plus?

Also, I would really like to get it somewhere like home depot or lowes just in case we need to make a return .... I am hesitant to order from an online company since I have no experience with them and would imagine making a return on something like this would be a nightmare.

So, could you all give me your thoughts on the 175 T and the 175 plus, (if they are indeed 2 different welders, I don't know enough about them to make heads or tails out of the specs)

and also, some safe, reputable places to buy from?

I believe one of their distributors is Air Products, and I am pretty sure my husband's company has an account/deals with them.

Also, since this will be used mostly for work, is this like a non-gift? or do you think he would enjoy it enough that that won't matter.

He has some basic welding skills. I would also like to buy him some lessons from someone who is proficient in stainless.

thanks for any input. Please post replies here,

thanks

shoppinmama
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 02-25-2005 06:33
Hi, I think you would get a good answer over at:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?
Parent - By stillman (*) Date 02-25-2005 07:25
Shoppinmama, I'm considering a similar purchase soon. So here's my opinion... I prefer the 175 Plus. They are the same welder but the difference between the two is the Plus has infinate variable voltage control, whereas the 'T' has fixed voltage taps. Think of the 'T' like if your home furnace thermostat only had say six temperature settings over a wide range. Instead of infinate control between the highest and lowest temperature.

I plan on purchasing from my local distributor for the service and support they provide.

Yes, it will make a great gift! Us men love things with power cords and anything that makes work easy or fun. You women on the other hand seem to think we are trying to enslave you if we get you power tools for gifts, LOL! I've made the mistake of giving the missus kitchen appliances and utensils as gifts! Not just once, but several times. So I understand your washer/dryer birthday analogy!
Parent - By awevans09 (*) Date 02-26-2005 04:54
I would definately go for the sp 175 plus. It doent seem like its a big deal to have infinate voltage control but it is. It is worth the extra 100 bucks. You are better off to buy it at a local welding supplier, they will let you return it within reasonable time, and they will stand behind the product they sell you better than lowes or home depot (I dont even think lowes or home depot sells this model).

Good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice on where / what to buy