Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "R-Stamp"
- - By - Date 10-25-2000 01:56
Does anybody know how big of a hassle it is to get your "R-Stamp" for working with pressure vessels, and boilers?
I'm ASME Sec. IX certified with 6010 and 7018, schedule 80 test pipe, all position. Any info would be appreciated,
as to requirements, is it worth it, anything. I've already checked with National Board, the "R-Stamp" testers, and
they are going to send me some info., but I am wanting an opinion of someone who has an R-Stamp, or has any knowledge about acquiring one. Thanks. Slagman.
Parent - - By - Date 11-05-2000 16:22
Getting an R Stamp is not a big hassle. You need an agreement with an Authorized Inspection Agency. I use Hartford Steam Boiler, and they are very helpful. There are other agencies, but there have been several mergers lately, and I'm not sure who they are any more. You also need a written quality control program. It doesn't need to be an extensive document, it just needs to describe how you will control the work that you intend to perform. You can get an R stamp for field repairs only, shop repairs only, or both. You can also have your R stamp cover alterations, meaning that your qc manual has provisions for design work. It doesn't mean that you have to be an engineer, just that your manual must spell out how you, the R stamp holder, will control and verify that the design work was done in accordance with the code. The R stamp program does not require that you own a set of ASME code books - it says you must have access to the codes you are working under. So if your customer has a copy of the code you are working to, or if you have an agreement with an engineer to have access to his code books, you are covered, so long as your qc manual says the same thing. The most important thing is to find an Authorized Inspection Agency you can work with. You need to find one that understands the type of repairs you want to do, and can help you write your QC program to cover it. I just renewed our R stamp, along with our ASME S, U, and PP stamps this year. I spent about 6 hours reviewing my manual with our AI prior to the Joint Review session. Once you get a manual written that describes how you do business (in accordance with the Code), it doesn't take a lot of time to maintain the program. You can get information from The National Board at www.nationalboard.org. They conduct a seminar a few times a year called "Manufacturers and Repair Organizations Training." It's a good course, and explains in practical terms how to comply with the R stamp program, and the ASME Code. You also get to meet a lot of the people who administer and write the Codes. When you can put a face to words in the code book, it helps a lot in understanding why things are a certain way. There are a lot of very helpful people in that organization. Good Luck.
Parent - By - Date 11-10-2000 02:45
Thanks for the reply dsmith. You have given me pretty much the info that I needed to know. Slagman
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "R-Stamp"