Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / WTB: Broken tig stuff (midwest plz)
- - By greenbuggy Date 03-02-2005 06:29
Thats right, I want to buy broken tig stuff. I'm something of a newbie, I am currently setup with a buzzbox for doing stick, a Lincoln Pro-Cut plasma cutter, a dinky lincoln mig and an older 300 Amp hobart mig. But I want to learn to do tig, and at the cost of a miller econotig or similarly capable welder I can't really afford it (or justify spending half my summer working a manual labor job just to get one...I've got college to pay for)

I have something of a talent for electronic repair, but I want to learn tig. I am also a college student and somewhat short on cash, so it would be my preference to buy a broken tig welding power source - I don't need the torch, foot pedals, gas, regulator or any of the other accessories.

My preference would be for something that has high frequency capabilities, reasonably small (I doubt I'll ever need much more than 250 amps) and located reasonably close to either des moines/ames Iowa (where I got to school) or minneapolis/st.paul (near where I live). I might be willing to pay for shipping to my location depending on item/condition, but would much rather just go pick it up.

You can email me at botboy60 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Negotiable on price based on condition, features and age. Email me with what you've got. Thanks.
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 03-04-2005 03:17
Actually, you can buy a full-fledged ac/dc 300 amp industrial tig for as little as 375.00. These sturdy well built Hobart welders will last a lifetime and in most cases are easy to repair. The down side is they are heavy as well as heavy duty - weigh about 1350 pounds as I recall. weldersales
Parent - - By greenbuggy Date 03-04-2005 03:40
I can understand a "buzzbox" tig/stick power source going for that much, however that generally means I wouldn't get a few things I would like to have, including things like lift arc/arc stabilization, digital controls, or remotely variable output (a la thumbswitch or foot pedal). Which is pointless, because my dad and I already share a descent craftsman AC stick welding power source.

My dad would have a fit if I brought home a welder that weighs that much, and chances are if its that big it probably takes 3 phase 440, which we can't get to our house/shop (not for lack of trying though). As I said above, my dad already has an AC stick welder which I could fairly easily hook a tig torch to and scratch start my welds. While it would sort of teach me tig, it can't do aluminum or stainless, has very little in the way of adjustability and scratch starting is a pain in the behind compared to the reasonably low cost of adding a HF box to the top of this welder.

Until I see a link, though, I'm going to be skeptical. I'm also going to be skeptical of any "deal" on a $375 welder because I bet that the cost of freight to get it to my area would surpass that $375 initial price tag awfully fast. And entry level welders with the features I listed above (I'll take a miller econotig for example) is STILL over 800, used, on ebay (which is the cheapest I've been able to find them).

I also firmly believe that you get what you pay for, and my experience with a $275 100-amp (or so it claims) lincoln mig probably would have left me very pissed off about how much money I spent (my grandpa bought it for me, fortunately), so I am really really skeptical of getting a full featured welder that does 3x the amperage at only $100 more (it would actually be less than the cost of the lincoln welder if you consider cost of argon bottle, solenoid, regulator, gauges and other parts to do the mig conversion).

So, feel free to prove me wrong, but I am having a very hard time imagining that this $375 welder is all that great a deal. I would still very much like to find a miller econotig or similar or even a HF-add on box that needs repair for a reasonable price/free.
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 03-05-2005 13:05
Wow, don't know where to start. If any budding tig weldor out there would like to see a picture of a Hobart Cybertig 300 amp tig welder with the following features and that can indeed be had for 375.00, please feel free to email me.
high freq start
gas and water solenoids
full remote (takes hand or foot control)
single phase (runs in your garage)
ac/dc (welds any metal there is)
power factor corrected (means it draws less current for same output than inexpensive tig built today)
Keep in mind this original offer was in response to one who has real interest in getting most bang for buck and, most importantly, has electrical and mechanical ability to handle any repairs that might be needed.
On a further note, in general all US manufactured tigs are single phase and run on 220 or 440 volts. Scratch start tig is only used on dc and was used for years before high freq became popular. Don't think anyone would be successful scratch starting ac which, of course, is required on aluminum.In this case, high freq starts arc, but more importantly, maintains arc which would stop the instant high freq stops. This is reason full-fledged tig units have high freq with a switch for start only and continuous. Top of the line tig units, that is. Units like the Hobart Cybertig. Bargain of the century at 375.00. Units like that. Lift arc came along only a few years ago as a way to make high freq unnecessary.
Now, as my old friend used to say, here is the john part. In this world all things come with pluses and minuses.
Yes, this fellow does weigh about 1350 lbs.
No, this kind of price does not include torch, control, regulator, etc.
Yes, if you put such a machine on a freightline, be ready to take out mortage on house.
No, this price does not include our doing anything to welder - not even dusting it off.
Yes, we are happy to load anything you can cause to be here at no charge, and are happy to help with shipping which we do every day. We tell our customers of 35 years, if you can tote it, we can load it. Later. weldersales
Parent - - By greenbuggy Date 03-08-2005 03:05
There is one Cyber tig (two words) on ebay right now, the last few completed auctions haven't gone above $350. Texas is an awful long way from iowa and I'd like to keep the actual welder under $400 if at all possible. I thought you were talking about those crappy "ARCONE" welders all over ebay right now, since you didn't mention that the $375 welder was used. Wasn't trying to be insulting, I think both our posts have valid points. Still looking for more lightly damaged equipment.
Parent - By joeswelders Date 04-11-2005 12:18
i have a cyber tig III on ebay now for $395, i am in north illinois near rockford, north of dekalb zip 60115 and need to go to fort madison...search ebay by seller = jyosan, thx, joe (630)327-1115
Parent - By edriven Date 04-08-2005 03:31
I am interested in the Cybertig welder-- can you please send me details?
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / WTB: Broken tig stuff (midwest plz)