Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Safety on TV?
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 03-02-2005 17:04
With reality based TV being such a rage, are shows like OCC, Amercian Hot Rod and the rest trying for injuries?

I mean...grinding with out eye and face protection? I only have two and was told they don't grow back?

Tack welding with no helmet or tig weldingwith no gloves? Does the words skin cancer or retina damage not mean anything?

The old fart who set off the Oxy-Acetylene bomb in Boyd Coddington's shop. I'd have kicked his old ass out to the street cause I'm sure he's mostly deaf and couldn't hear me ask him to leave.

One of the best was when buddy on OCC got his hand caught in the drill press... I just shake my head? Load up on pain killers and go back to work dude.

As an educator, and a skilled welder, what are we teaching or showing our youth, those thinking of entering into a trade and those weekend warriors watching these shows?
Am I the only one shaking my head when I watch?
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 03-02-2005 17:07
Amen to all of your comments.

John Folk
Parent - By stillman (*) Date 03-02-2005 19:11
I agree. They set a poor example and give a poor impression of those who occupy the trades. Fortunately most adults, even the younger ones, already have a poor impression of reality TV!

I think the only way to police-up their safety practices would be to make the producer's responsibility as 'employer' accountable for unsafe practices. I'll bet the loophole is none of those guys are actually getting paid. It seems in a lot of those shows the skills and materials are donated in order to get them recognition on national TV. I'm sure elsewhere in the mainstream film industry you would never see professional grips, set builder's and craftsmen commiting those same unsafe practices.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-02-2005 21:27
You must appear cool and show "no fear" around all that equipment. These are tough guys, wearing safety equipment is just not showing that you are tough. I agree someone should step on some toes and make these individuals show these kids that are trying to imitate them, that wearing safety equipment is a necessary way of life.
John Wright
Parent - - By BIG E (*) Date 03-02-2005 21:53
Shows like that should be an OSHA Inspectors dream.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-02-2005 22:48
The same goes for all of the very hazardous information that has been dispensed within this thread:

http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=6170
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 03-03-2005 00:42
for mig welding are the mechanics gloves enouf. i only have a 120 uint so it isant to powerfull. or should i just stick with the cowhide gloves. i know for thicker stuff i should use the hevier gloves seeing how i have dome some dammage to them. but for sheet metal with just tack welds or small beads, are they addiqute.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2005 02:07
Lots of people use em. They won't last long.

If you have a large Home Depot or Farm and Fleet type warehouse tool store you can often find welders gauntlets for about $5 a pair.

And arrrrg Those TV guys make me mad. Shiny paint jobs at the end of a project does not equate to professionalisim. I wouln't ride in or on most of the stuff those TV hacks stick together. I'm just too old and picky

Mythbusters do some pretty crazy stuff too, but at least they wear Eye/Ear protection and talk about safety.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2005 12:13
Mythbusters, Oh yeah, I forgot about some of the crazy stunts they do.
I think they still get surprized from time to time when they "thought" they had positioned themselves far enough away and things ended up getting a little bigger than expected.

Monster Garage/Monster House in my opinion has the worst offenders, some of those guys/gals stop at no expense to find ways to be injured. Burning, sawing and drilling then walking all around through the slag and chips with no shoes on what so ever. Even the producers were nervous with that episode and ended up asking him to put a pair of shoes on.
John Wright
Parent - - By smbid Date 03-03-2005 19:20
Safty issues, quality work?? Even AWS jumped on the reality TV bandwagon.

http://www.aws.org/pr/mar10-2003.html

'Jesse James, host of Discovery Channel's Monster Garage, will pay a visit to the AWS Welding Show in Detroit to accept a golden welding helmet in recognition for the advanced welding technology and creative skills he exhibits on his hit TV show........The American Welding Society (AWS) is proud to honor Jesse for his role in promoting the image of welding to television viewers throughout the world.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2005 19:45
http://www.aws.org/pr/monstergaragedowload.html

Nice eye protection you have on there, Jesse! What a great "image" you are portraying of all of us safety minded, welding professionals.
<rolls eyes>
Good grief,
John Wright
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-03-2005 02:34
Most of the DIY shows like This Old House, and the like, usually practice good safety with all power tools, electrical work, painting and insulation etc.; their ratings and sponsors are still still strong. Maybe these guys should follow suit?

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 03-03-2005 05:24
I am a safety fanatic, and my wife has rescently finished cancer treatment for stage 3 melanoma cancer. I posted in the millermotorsport forum about this same topic. Here is the link. http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=603&highlight=Protection+professionals

Peace,
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2005 12:18
Good post,
I'm truly sorry to hear about your wife.
John Wright
Parent - - By SLowChild (*) Date 03-04-2005 00:06
Heh, just watching American Chopper, they are playing rerun of Miller bike, just saw Jr. bending sheet metal around a oxygen tank. Good times.
Parent - - By TOMWELDS Date 03-13-2005 04:44
How about "biker buildoff". Check out the 7" cut off wheel on the 4" machine that Billy Lane uses! Man, that caught my eye! I have a nice scare on my hand from a kickback, when i stupidly forgot to wear my gloves.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-13-2005 13:03
When I first skimmed this thread, I thought the AWS award was a joke!
This time I looked at the picture and the advertising, and discovered that it was real. Who do we write to, to prevent the AWS ever being this stupid again? The only awards these guys should get are Darwin awards.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-14-2005 20:27
Try this:

Magda Alvarez-Miranda
Manager, Public Relations
malvarez@aws.org

Similar info available for the various networks that put on the reality shows.

Hg

p.s. For more on safe welding practices, check out http://www.gophergas.com/funstuff/womenlivelonger2.htm
Item #7 (the second one on the page)
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 03-14-2005 23:29
Those are about the funniest pictures i have ever scean
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 03-14-2005 23:49
Also has anyone seen the monsterhouse where they made a loft lounge. they had a few steel towers. the only problem is that they had a bunch of colledge kids weld them together even though they have never welded before.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-15-2005 01:09
College students are a renewable resource.

Hg
Parent - By leon phelps (**) Date 03-15-2005 02:00
I love on OCC how the welding pictures all go from different angles...one is Mig then one is Tig. Weird to think all welds start as mig then end as tig.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-15-2005 12:09
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/default.htm

Here is a link to the Navy's safety web site, lots of interesting pics in there. I could browse all day, some are extremely creative ways to get hurt. Some of the pics that you posted in your link are also in this group of pictures. I just love to read the captions and stories that go along with these pics. Funny stuff.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Safety on TV?