Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dry-Washing on 304L S.S Pipe
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-02-2005 19:54
I was wanting some input on Dry-Washing. For the purpose of maintaining alignment of 2" to 6" 304L S.S pipe is it considered ok to Dry-wash a weld that has been welded with the GTAW process. And is it considered ok to use a wet rag to cool a 304L S.S weld to control distortion. If not, why?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-03-2005 14:04
Jim, back in the old days I used to do this routinely and it works very well. I'm not sure but there are probably some restrictions in certain applications as to the amount of heat you can actually input before quenching and, although I'm not a metallurgist I'm pretty sure that there may be some argument about what effect this may have on the properties of the ss.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-03-2005 16:10
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know any tech. papers or web sites that might have some info about these issues. I to have done dry-washing and cooling techniques in the Petro-Chem industy on B31.3 severe cyclic service with out any neg. effects. Our service was cyanide and aceto-cyanide. Thanks for any help you could give me.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-03-2005 18:07
No problem Jim. I have found an outstanding website and if you don't find the information in there you can do the "contact us" check it out: http://www.ssina.com
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-03-2005 19:32
Thanks Jon for the info.
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dry-Washing on 304L S.S Pipe