Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plasma Welding/TIG Questions...
- - By greenbuggy Date 03-08-2005 06:42
Ok, I'm a college student and something of a welding n00b so bear with me.

Currently I have a lincoln Weld-Pak 100 thats been converted to MIG, a Lincoln Procut plasma cutter and a Hobart 300 Amp 3phase MIG that I'm trying to trade (bought for a good price but want something that will run on single phase...see my post in the equipment FS forum). My dad and I also share a full oxyacetelene cutting/heating setup and a Craftsman AC Buzzbox set up for stick

I have recently had the opportunity to buy a Hobart Plasma Arc 400D console for very cheap (probably inside of $200). Now I searched and read quite a few posts about plasma welding but I'm still left with a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I was considering buying a tig setup but at this price it seems like I could probably get set up completely for less than the cost of a used miller econotig, and have more capabilities. If I went the tig route, I would probably plan on getting an AC/DC CC power source that is capable of doing stick and then add on a HF box with lift arc/maintain arc features and an afterflow timer.

I understand that the console by itself won't do much, and that in order to make things work I would need a CC voltage source as well as another argon or argon blend bottle and another regulator (I already have one for my mig setups), so here are my questions:

1) Would it be possible to get a plasma cutting head and adapt it to work with this console? I don't really need to, since I have the lincoln pro cut, but I am curious to know the answer. Also, would I need to use a plasma gas (like argon) or could I just use a pressurized air source with a regulator (like my current plasma cutter does)?

2) Would it be possible to hook up a tig torch to this console and use it to start arcs so that I wouldn't have to scratch start them? It seems like this has the features similar or identical to a high end HF box for a CC supply (after flow timer, port for an external controller like a foot pedal, etc) except that its designed for plasma welding

3) Would this console be picky about the torch attached to it? I was somewhat scared by some suggestions that a good torch for this console would be 1000+ but it seems like you can get used plasma welding torches on ebay for around 80-120$ with cables, but they aren't hobart.

4) how suitable would plasma welding be to doing bodywork on a car? What about welding up trailer frames composed of 3/8" steel?

5) How suitable would 75/25 Argon/CO2 be as a plasma gas as well as a shielding gas (assuming I bought another regulator and split the bottles output instead of buying another bottle)? Assume just for welding mild steel here.

6) Would I notice a significant difference in welding aluminum or stainless assuming I set this up properly to do plasma welding as opposed to welding them with tig?

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer
Parent - By jamesrodr (*) Date 04-07-2005 17:08
Kris,

Here are some answers to your questions based on my practical experiences
1. Air plasma will not work as it requires a much higher OCV as compared to what your regular CC power source will supply.You can purchase argon plasma cutting torches which will do the job at a high current output without the finish of the modern air plasma systems.
2.You will have to do lots of modification work here as the console will have a pilot arcing system . Only a HF for TIG starting will require lots of electrical work.
3. Any good plasma welding torch will do.
4.Plasma welding is normally done in melt in or keyhole modes. For lower thickness melt in is employed and this is just like tig with a more concentrated and hotter arc. Keyhole is difficult to control manually and requires lots of skill therefore is used in automated welding.
5.Not possible.
6.Stainless steel results will be very good .Aluminium requires a more advanced power source.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plasma Welding/TIG Questions...