Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Design for welding:Letter to an Engineer
- - By thcqci (***) Date 03-08-2005 22:25
Know anyone that could benefit from reading this?
http://www.thefabricator.com/Articles/Welding_Exclusive.cfm?id=1062
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-09-2005 00:57
thqci:
Interesting view by the author. I can tell you I have been very fortunate to work with some of the best informed structural/civil and metallurgical engineers & do so today.

I have also worked with some who made me want to quit doing construction work. For the most part I have. Too many of these same individuals in the business of reviewing welding docs. (WPS/PQR/WPQR) who have no clue and therefore should refer these services to a consultant or another engineer. They have cost many of my clientel $$$$$ with their lack of welding knowledge. I no longer do special inspection or deputy work. Not worth it.

Many a previous discussion in the forum thread archives on some engineering "blooper" specifications.
Examples:
1.) Gas flow rate for SMAW (E6011)
2.) Wire feed speed for SMAW (E7018)
3.) Flux used for GMAW (ER70S-6)

It's kind of like any field though, gotta have +'s and -'s.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-14-2005 20:35
Part of the problem is people don't know what they don't know--if you don't know, ask, but that only works if you know there's a question to ask.

There are very few engineering schools that offer degrees in welding engineering. And most engineering positions that require "some" knowledge of welding are primarily structural engineering (or civil or even mechanical), so being a welding engineer wouldn't really be satisfactory anyway.

Connection design in general, bolted OR welded, is sadly neglected in engineering education. I don't know what to do to change this.

Hg
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-14-2005 22:06
HG:
Do what I do. Try to take a proactive role in their continuing education.
I do presentations for the local chapter of the Structural Engineers Association (www.seaosc.org). My next seminar will be on Saturday here in Los Angeles. Every engineer who sits on the committee I am involved with note they require MUCH more training in this subject.

You can still run up against those who do not want to hear about the "black box" of welding, but most really try to get it right. It's the ones who think they have a handle on the subject of welding that cause everyone involved with the project the most grief.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Design for welding:Letter to an Engineer