Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / question on miller 150sth tig/stick
- - By Brian W Date 03-09-2005 15:04
does anyone have one of these I'm thinking of buying one but not sure it going to be enough to do what I want it to I will be using it to weld cast Iron ornamental stuff mainly gate posts. the electrodes from hobart call for between 80-90 amps. using 120v will give me up to 100 amps will this be enough to work? I have only been welding a short time so I need advice from somebody that has been around the block.I'm wanting to also be able to to weld with tig I will be using it for small welds to fill in small gaps between fence pickets so this might be enough to handle that. my main concern is cast iron so if anyone can supply me with their advice I would be greatful .thanks for your reply
Parent - - By stillman (*) Date 03-10-2005 02:32
Another short timer here, but we have a Miller 150 STH at work that I have used. It stick welds okay on the bench plugged straight into a 115v outlet with no extension cord. I was disappointed in how it worked out in the field where an extension cord is required. It seems once you add an extension you start to get voltage drop. It's an inverter machine and it trips off once the capacitor is discharged. You have to wait for it to reset. About the only rod we can run with it in the field is 3/32" E6010 at about 50 amps and IMHO the welds are too cold. We could never get it hot enough to run 3/32" E7018.

It does come with 230v capability, so maybe the problems I experienced wouldn't be an issue with the higher voltage. We don't have any 230v outlet's so I can't say.

My pardner uses it for TIG welding, which was the reason it was purchased. He's very satisfied with how it does TIG.

I've never welded cast iron. I assume you are talking about the little pointy ornamental parts on top of a gate?
Parent - By Brian W Date 03-10-2005 06:21
Hey thanks for your your info I'm not sure this one is the one for me I'm going to be putting together posts that come in 4 pieces and its pretty heavy around 80lbs and I don't want to fall apart when its holding a gate around 100-150lbs so maybe I will take a look at the max-star 200 just sucks it will cost alot more. thanks again for for your reply
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-11-2005 04:40
Guys,

Check out some of the posts on the Maxstar 150 over on "Weld Talk" on the Hobart board. The Maxstar 150 has always had a small problem with 6010. However, using 115V (even with a 25' extension cord) with 3/32 in 6011, 6013, 7014 & 7024, (or 1/8" 6011 & 6013), it runs fine, and the tig side of the machine is great. Here is the link:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / question on miller 150sth tig/stick