Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDER QUALIFICATION TEST
- - By mksqc (**) Date 03-10-2005 21:47
Hi all we have qualified a SAW up to 1\2'' one pass butt weld with a copper and flux groove backing.(a572 grade 50) by the way.So we set our WQT as 3\8'' plate(1G POSITION)root bend and face bend.were all good with CWB AND ICBO but then AISC shows up and will not accept. stating that AWS calls for a bevel prep. in this situation we can not use a bevel prep.Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Parent - - By Bill Mc (**) Date 03-11-2005 21:25
In regards to the procedure, when you say you "have qualified a SAW up to 1/2" does that mean you did qualify the PQR by testing since a square butt joint welded from one side with backing it is not a pre-qualified joint (without the groove bevel) with SAW?

If you "qualified a SAW up to 1/2" does that mean the PQR test plate thickness was 1/4"?
Parent - - By mksqc (**) Date 03-11-2005 22:04
Yes we qualified by testins 1\4 and 1\2'' plate.we now need an acceptable WQT.We could send out a PQR test plate for our WQT but that would be very spendy.
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 03-21-2005 19:08
You already qualified your procedures by welding two WPS (PQR) test plates (one @ 1/4" and 1/2" thick, both with no bevel) and sucessfully tested each plate... i.e. nondestructive testing, (U.T. or R.T.), the required reduced tensile samples, and the bend testing samples... Correct?

You did this in both 1/4" and 1/2" plate because you probably exceeded some esential variable when moving up to the 1/2" plate...correct?

I would interpret the codes as:
1. The welder that welded your PQR test plates is now qualified without any further testing.
2. Your plan to use 3/8" thick welder qualification test plates is acceptable and will qualify your welders from 1/8" to 3/4" thick material. Also, I do not think the addition or deletion of the bevel is an essential variable for the welder qualification test.

yes, AWS does "call for a bevel" for a pre-qualified joint procedure. You sucessfully qualified the procedure without the bevel. I do not understand why your AISC rep. does not accept your procedures and qualification testing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDER QUALIFICATION TEST