Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Whats out there for me?
- - By Coastie Date 03-15-2005 17:19
Hello,
I wanted to throw this question out to get some ideas from people in the industry.
I am about ready to transition from the Coast Guard where I am in- charge of a basic and advanced welding school (CG). I am an AWS certified welder with a current CWI/ CWE certification. I am going to be looking for a job in the next four months. Here is my problem: Even though I have my certifications and experience within the military world, I have no civilian experience. Does anyone have any opinions as to what type of work I should be looking for? Although I do have a good general knowledge of the field, I am not confident enough to go out and market myself as an experienced inspector. What type of position should I be looking for? Maybe an ACWI? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Tim Hilty
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-15-2005 17:39
Tim,
From what I have seen from people with military welding training, you should not consider yourself as inexperienced. And AWS welder certifications, CWI, and CWE certifications are the same regardless of who you work for. Also, I would not think you would be in charge of a school that teaches people to weld on multi-million dollar equipment if your superiors didn't think you were qualified.

Your humble attitude is respectable but don't sell yourself short. I would prepare a resume that highlights your experience and length of service (as well as the other usual info) to advertise yourself and your capabilities. Just be factual in your job interviews, state what you do know, and acknowledge what you don't.
As for type of position, I think the question you should ask is, what do YOU want to do? Then find out what you need to get there. Chances are, you already have the required experience.
You will do just fine.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By Coastie Date 03-15-2005 17:58
Chet,
Thanks for the words of encouragment. You make a lot of sense. I wasn't sure how different the civilian side of the field would be and that gave me a little pause. I have been in the Coast Guard a long time and I guess I'm "institutionalized". Thanks again. Tim
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-15-2005 18:43
I agree completely with Chet. In fact to me, it sounds like some golden opportunities are just waiting for you to present themselves! Good luck!
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 03-16-2005 03:47
Hello Tim: When I was in the Army as an Aviation NDT Instructor (1994) stationed at FT Eustis VA, I took a tour of your Welding School in Yorktown (or was it Little Creek). Anyway it was a nice facility.

Here I am as a CWI, ACCP Level II RT, PT, UT, MT and VT, QA/QC inspector in a chemical demilitarization facility. Since I left Army Aviation eight years ago, I’ve worked as an NDT tech in paper mills, fossil power plants, refineries, cross country pipelines, and fab shops large and small. That developed into a CWI cert, which I got while working in Saudi Arabia on a two-year contract. I’m holding my own as a CWI using ASME and AWS codes along with related facility and contract specifications.

I can trace my current skills straight back to my Army days starting in 1977 when I was an Aircraft Powertrain Repairman doing PT and MT on aircraft parts and components. It was a growing process each step of the way and I’m still growing.

There is definitely hope for you. 1) If you plan to stay on the Peninsula, explore one of the inspection companies (such as Longview Inspection in VA Beach) that covers the paper mills and refineries in the area. 2)Send a resume to Newport News Shipbuilding. 3)Another good place to start is contract work doing outages and turnarounds (inspectionjobs.com). Lots of time away from home but in the long run the experience gained is worth it. 4)Or if you want to come to Alabama or go to Pine Bluff Arkansas and work in the Chem Demil business look online at wgint.com. A military background with CWI would fit in nicely (plus you could pass the background check).

Good luck and regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-16-2005 08:33
When I worked for Worthington years ago (a company that built a good deal of equipment for the navy) there were lots of retired navy people there. I assume that the same sort of situation still applies. Try the companies that made the equipment that your school taught people to repair. I'll bet they'll be glad to hear from you.
Bill
Parent - By Coastie Date 03-16-2005 13:21
Thanks a lot for your input guys. I guess my skills will transfer nicely. Thanks again. Tim
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-16-2005 14:05
I got out of the Navy many years ago. I was under the impression that the amount of skill needed for the civilian world was higher than that which I received in the Navy. The job skills and work ethics I gained in the military payed off by giving me a very fulfilling career. It's definately an individual thing as far as how far you go in the industry. Success is not just obtaining that "position" and "pay" that everybody strives for.

After our basic needs for food shelter and family care are taken care of, job satisfaction is #1 in my book. If you liked what you did in the military, it will pay off outside. If you didn't enjoy it, then it probably won't be a good field to stay in.

If you can handle, take some of those "entry level" jobs or try the construction field until you get settled into the difference in work environment.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Whats out there for me?