Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need advice howto remove rust inside pip
- - By racepak Date 03-15-2005 23:53
hello everybody
i just got me some straight and bended pipes for my turbo chargepipes setup and there is some rust inside and outside the pipes.

how can i get rid of thw rust inside the pipe?

i was thinking about gelvnize them inside and out.... do i need to get gid of the rust before the galvanization?

(my dad isnt sure but he think that the shop that does this process have some kind of acid that will remove the rust.... could it be?)

best regards moshik galimidi
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 03-16-2005 03:44
Your dads right, it will go through acid baths first...
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-16-2005 08:21
I'm not sure galvanizing will survive the operating temperature of a turbo inlet pipe on a gasoline engine. Check before you spend your money.
Bill
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-16-2005 14:10
I'm asking this because I don't know, but why is rust inside the pipe a problem? Couldn't the rust be cleaned up with steel wool and ignored? It would seem that the in-service conditions inside the pipe would not promote more rusting.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By racepak Date 03-16-2005 15:28
do you think that the acid remove the rust?

answer to chet:
the pipes from the turbo circulate back to the engine, and i'm afraid that crums of rust will go in the engine...

about the steel wool.... the pipes has bends so its kind of a problam.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-17-2005 07:06
Are these on the air side or the exhaust side? If it's the air side I take back what I said about galvanizing. That would only apply to the exhaust (hot) side.
Bill
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-22-2005 15:23
I'm amazed at Chet's answer.
Here in Brazil steel wool is largely used by housewifes to clean their kitchen appliances (kettles, pans etc.).
Environmentalists (Greenpeacers, NGO's and the like) keep yelling that this is a proof of how underdeveloped our country is and how far away we are from first world countries, where steel wool has been abandoned long ago.
Steel wool, they say, is a highly pollutant material. Now I learn that it's still used in the USA. Have the USA become a third world country as well?
Below I've posted my answer to the problem
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-23-2005 08:03
No steel wool in the US? Like Brillo or SOS (two brand names for soap impregnated steel wool pads)? Used by many americans for cleaning pots and pans. Polluting? In what way? Most red dirt gets it's color from iron, how harmful could it be if you plowed steel wool into your garden (within reason of course)? On the other hand there may have been some decline in steel wool usage for this purpose. One reason would be the popularity of teflon lined cookware which would be damaged by steel wool. I'm sure that the manufacture of teflon couldn't cause any pollution though, could it? Another reason would be the popularity of automatic dishwashers although again I'm sure no pollution results from the manufacture of the electricity and hot water to run the machine. I guess in order to save the world we will just have to somehow ban that brazilian woman from scrubbing her skillet with that steel wool pad.
Bill
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-23-2005 17:29
Actually, steel wool is still readily availabe in hardware stores; usually near the sandpaper. It does a good job on wood finishing and for cleaning up corrosion on metals.
I also don't understand why it would be considered a major pollutant. But I certainly don't know everything, so it would be good to hear the reasoning on that.

My thought on using steel wool is that a ball of it can be easily attached to a flexible shaft on a drill, to reach into tight places. By starting with coarse grade and finising with fine, steel wool should easily remove the rust as long as there are no deep pits. In that case, everything but the pits would be nice and shiny.
If money was no object, I would have the tubes chemically cleaned and then electroplated. Then they couldn't rust again.
Chet
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-23-2005 18:53
In addition to the above mentioned purposes for steel wool- which I also am not aware of any environmental problems that it creates- is for aiding the arc starting with SAW. Put a small peice of steel wool in contact with both the work and wire, when you turn on the machine, it vaporizes quickly and establishes the arc. It is usually used on large diameter wire when a sharp point can't be cut on the wire or is inadequate to prevent a hard-start.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-29-2005 00:20
Indeed, environmentalists sometimes exaggerate in their claims.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By - Date 03-18-2005 14:55
What are the pipes made of? Carbon steel or stainless steel? If they are carbon steel, acid cleaning (pickling) is not preferrable. If they are stainless steel, then pickling is the answer.
Parent - By BF (*) Date 03-18-2005 16:48
Iwork for a company that has pipe galvanized every day, I'm not sure that's the route you want to take. Depending on the wall thickness and the bolt flanges you might have some distortion and create more problems. Is there any chance you could use something like a small cylinder hone, like the ones that have the small balls and are flexible?? How far down in the pipes do you have to reach to remove the rust?Maybe even a light sandblast then blow out with air.
Just some thoughts.
Parent - By racepak Date 03-18-2005 21:51
hello everybody.

is that possible that the galvanizing will peel or crumed in to the engine?
till what temperature galvanizing is good for?

answer to cmeadows:
i think that the pipe is made of mild steel.

answer to BF :
the wall thickness is 1.5mm

i heard somthing about the hone with the small balls.... but i never seen it and i dont know how it looks like.... can you please post a picture of that or give me a link please?

best regards moshik galimidi
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 03-18-2005 23:59
Moshik,

A small suggestion. Since you are at the turbo outlet, cylinder inlet side,(not sure if you are using an intercooler, but even if you are...) the air in that chamber is going to reach at least 1.3 times the residual air temperature (pV=nRT, so 5 psi boost at standard 14.7 psi atmosphere raises T by 1.3 as well), more depending on the boost pressure--would have to do the thermodynamics to be sure of the exact temp--and eventually that galvanizing is going to come off.

Go check at a local painting shop for the closest powder coating facility and ask them about ceramic coating. Its not very expensive that I know of, and it slicks up the pipe, lower drag coefficients, and takes some extreme temps. And when its through, those cruddy old mild carbon pipes look like a million bucks. They do all the prep (consists of acid bath).

HTH,
gls
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-22-2005 15:13
Rust is removed from iron by means of an acid (usually hydrochloric, also called muriatic) to which an inhibitor has been added. This operation is called pickling.
The inhibitor is a chemical substance that allows the acid to attack the rust but not the metal. In other words, only the rust will be removed, leaving the metal intact.
Back in my days of erector engineer I used to pickle in this manner the lube oil piping of turbines and compressors before putting them in operation. Years ago, I authored an article on POWER magazine explaining how I did that operation.
The inhibitor I used was Rodine brand, made by Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI). An advantage of Rodine was that it worked at room temperature, i.e., with no need to heat the solution. I don't know whether it's still on sale. Anyway, any good supplier of chemical materials should be able to recommend you a good inhibitor.
You must use it following exactly the manufacturer's instructions as to concentration of solution, reaction time etc.
Giovanni S. Crisi
São Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-24-2005 01:15
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone ever heard of "naval jelly"?
I ask this because it works real well on rust, and is readily available to purchase at any hardware store at a reasonable price but, please use the proper safety equipment when using as one SHOULD always practice.

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-24-2005 14:09
I've heard of it, SSBN.

Isn't that the stuff that grows in your belly button if you don't keep up on your showers?

(I couldn't resist)

Chet
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-26-2005 07:53
Hi Chet!

I used it to clean up my old Cast iron pots and pans back in the day when I took a sabbatical to become "one with the land"...
I could'nt wait to be back out at sea after that episode..};>)~

Seriously though, in case anyone else wants to know, that stuff really works well and you do'nt have to skip a bunch of showers to make it yourself folks! Just remember to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) like rubber gloves, eye protection in case of splashing. Also wear appropriate clothing, shoes and do'nt forget to rinse the treated surface with water - if you can find it...

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need advice howto remove rust inside pip