Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / argon welding rod ,please help
- - By warin_ly Date 03-16-2005 16:56
i have hire for argon welding my material but i don't know what rod number(AWS-XXXXX) he used. i ask this fabrication owner but he don't know too. please let me know if you can. i saw he use rod which have 2-3mm. diameter(no flux) to fill and use gun. i want to know the number to find elongation of this welding. i must do the report to my teacher. thanks you for your answer.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 03-17-2005 05:11
The process you are describing is GTAW-gas tungsten arc welding {AKA tig-tungsten inert gas} the rod should match the base metal so if it were stainless it would be a stainless filller. I will take an assumption it was mild steel therefore the filler should be ER70-S?. I'll break the glyphic down for you E=elcetrode, R=rod, 70= tensile strength70,000 psi of the weld material, S=solid, ? there will be a number here for the additional alloying elements in the filler material.

Good luck with the report,
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / argon welding rod ,please help