Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do you think it is resonable
- - By joanna (*) Date 03-18-2005 11:43
Hi ,every one.I have finish my project about numerical analysis of residual stress.Now I want to measure residual stress by X-spray.I want to make a sample.It will be a butt welding joit between two plates.It may be 400mm width and 600mm long .The weld line lay in the middle of the width.The weld line is a longitudinal weld line.
If you have any suggestion,or you have the exprience of residual stress measurement.Please tell me your expriene!Also you can send a email to me my email is "joanajia@sohu.com"
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-18-2005 21:26
The sample plate width and length sound good. Take into account that it must be also thick enough in order to develop sufficient residual stress.
Make it of low carbon steel, 25 mm (one inch) thick (not less than 20 mm, or 3/4 inches), with a V groove, i.e., on only one side. In this way, it will develop a higher residual stress.
Weld it with SMAW (coated or stick eletrode), E-6010 or E-6012. I suggest E-6012 because the weld is easier to make and the residual stress will be the same.
Have you already found out someone who has an X-ray difractor to measure the residual stress? It's not an equipment easy to find.
To have a good idea of what the equipment looks like and how it works, enter www.rigaku.com
Once in there, go to X-ray difraction.
By the way, the correct word is X-ray difraction, not X-spray, as you've written.
I would like to receive a copy of your numerical analysis, if it's written in English. Can you send it to me?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By joanna (*) Date 03-19-2005 10:44
Thank you for your advice.It souns good that you have do some measurement on residual stress.Yes I have find X-ray difractor .Thank you for your correction.Ok,I would like to send my numerical analysis result to you.But I should translate them into english at first.So be patient.Also I would like to talk more about residual stress with you .
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do you think it is resonable