Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Prolongation
- - By - Date 10-28-2000 20:27
What is the minimum criteria for prolongation of a certificate?

Just using the process qualified for, or within the range of approval i.e. must be using same process, range of joint types, materials, thickness, consumables, etc.?

AMSE IX refers to process only.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 10-30-2000 22:27
I am unsure exactly what you are referring to as "certificate". If it is the welder qualification record then ASME Section IX QW-322.1 addresses when the welder or welding operator qualification expire and must be requalified. Usually if the welder has welded within a period of 6 months, the welder could maintain his certification indefinately. Of course when there is a specific reason to question the welders ability to make welds then the certificate in question shall be revoked.

If you are refering to the stamp holders certification (i.e. "U" stamp) then Section VIII will govern and the certificate is good for 3 years.
Parent - By - Date 11-04-2000 00:13
Sorry, we call the 'record' a certificate over here (UK). I find it strange that in order to prolong a certificate (or record) all the Welder has to do is weld with the qualified process only once in the previous 6 months. I assume that the weld(s) made by the Welder must be of sound quality in order to prolong the certificate. It is typical in the UK to request NDT reports of some form e.g. DP, MPI, Radiography, etc. to support the certificate prolongation.
Parent - - By Neal (*) Date 11-01-2000 21:37
The code says that the process must be used within 6 months of testing or it expires. This can be indefinitely extended by a welder using the process within this six month period.

Common sense and good management which can at times be in short supply would suggest that the simple reading of the rule is all that is required.

As a welding program owner I would not let "paper tigers" weld on any code applications. Paper tigers are those individuals that gain certification and then go off and do other work, just welding enough to keep their certs up.

Remember that the code is a guideline and not a cookbook.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-04-2000 03:21
Sorry Neal, but the code is not a guidline. It is the minimum requireements. You may exceed them, but must meet them.
Parent - By Neal (*) Date 11-04-2000 22:29
I certainly agree with editorial comment NDT III
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Prolongation