Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig equipment
- - By lake (*) Date 03-18-2005 15:02
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has experience with Lincolns 275 or 375 Precision tig machines. My old Miller 330 ABP appears to have given up the ghost. Would a new machine really be an upgrade or just a lot of fancy window dressing? Comments appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Lake
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 03-21-2005 13:37
I would have to say that there is more to the new equipment than "window dressing". The arc performance (especially at low amps) is extremely stable. The new low amperage arc starting circuit utilized by the new lincoln powersources (185, 275, etc) is quite amazing.
I would suggest going to your local supplier and asking for a chance to fire one up.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-22-2005 08:20
Hi Lake!

If you've been welding with an old Miller 330 ABP for awhile then, you might have a bit of a time getting used to a newer 200 or 300 dynastyDX as opposed to a lincoln precision TIG 275 or 375...

Sparx is correct about Lincoln's low amp arc starting circuit - amazing!!!
If you want pulsing and the capability of welding over 300 amps then, choose the Lincoln precision TIG 375 because this model comes with pulse standard. On the 185 and 275 models, pulsing is optional.

Now if you're already familiar with the arc characteristics and capabilities that you can experience with a squarewave inverter type powersource then, the 200 or 300 Dynasty DX is the way to go but, if you've got a bunch of pure (green color end) wolfram (tungsten) already in stock and do'nt feel like learning how to use the new type of power source then choose the Lincoln Precision TIG line....

I'll say one thing about Lincoln's line, they give you just about everything you need to start welding ASAP when you buy one of the Precision TIG model's... Not always the case with Miller however, Miller's squarewave inverters are really amazing when it comes to customizing the arc characteristics to your particular application and if portability is what your looking for then choose the Miller...

Bottom line is you have to decide which equipment is going to "suit" you best currently and in the future.

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 03-22-2005 04:13
The advanced wave shaping of the new inverters will make you forget about the old technology. You can change the shape of the arc cone and hence the bead width. This is a sample of the adjustability. I own a Miller Dynasty 200DX and recomend it. You'll probably want a bit more amperage on the upper end so a 300DX might be better. These machines have pulse and waveform shaping that is unbelievable.

Peace,
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig equipment