Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Total Newbi ?
- - By Safari Date 03-18-2005 20:08
Hi everyone,

I became interested in welding some time ago, went to the library, got a book, read it, got all excited and went out and bought a used Oxy-Acetylene set up. I did this because I wanted to learn the basics and would be doing this only as a hobby.The fellow from whom I bought the set from was an elderly gentleman who was retiring from the business. He showed me how to light the torch, adjust the flame, melted some rod in front of me and then demonstrated how to use the cutting torch. By the way, the set up consisted of a Victor handle, cutting attachment, various nozzles, tips, rosebud heater, large Victor regulators, goggles (#5 ), a pair of new gloves, 56 cu. ft acetylene cylinder, 126 cu. ft oxygen cylinder, 35ft. of hose plus the cart. I was happy to pay him $300.00 for the set. I don't know if that was a good deal or not but I can live with it.

Anyway, I got home with it and realized all the questions I forgot to ask!
Such as:
1. How much pressure should I be using for A/O? (#2 nozzle).
2. How long is that neutral flame supposed to be? Is it supposed to be hissing and be so harsh or is it supposed to be a soft/gentle flame when trying to make a weld puddle?
3. How long should it take to make this weld puddle with a #2 nozzle on mild steel about 1/16th thick?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as time goes by but if some one has some suggestions I would appreciate them.

Thanks to all.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-18-2005 22:25
Safari,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to Wall Mountain Company. In their training video selection they have OXY-ACT Welding and Torch Cutting. Sometimes seeing it by example makes it clearer.

http://www.weldingvideos.com/

~thirdeye~
Parent - By Safari Date 03-20-2005 17:01
Thanks for the link. The videos look helpfull.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-22-2005 08:47
Hey Thirdeye!
Those video's from Wall Mountain are EXCELLENT!!!
I've been using them to show my students what to look for prior to demonstrating in the Lab and having them start out with only my references including what a book would refer to only.

I've been using their video's for a few years now, and every student I've shown them to comments how helpful they've been for them to see and refer to in case they run into problems during their lab work etc.

Safari, These video's are worth the very reasonable price Wall Mountain is asking for and then some!!! A very good investment indeed!!!
Great advice Thirdeye!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-22-2005 14:37
SSBN727, Good Morning

I also like that the videos contain quite a bit of safety information.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 03-19-2005 03:27
The recommended pressures for oxygen and acetylene vary by the size of your torch tip, and whether you are cutting, welding, or heating with the rosebud. I'd go to a local welding store - where you will get your gasses - and see if they have a spare booklet showing the pressures for the all the tip sizes.

There are several ways of getting good settings by 'rules of thumb' but they all take some experience. Starting out it is better to go by the book.
Parent - By Safari Date 03-22-2005 17:47
Thanks everyone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Total Newbi ?