Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma Arc Welding
- - By JChan Date 03-21-2005 06:26
Can anyone tell me if a power supply like the Miller Syncrowave 351 will work with a Plasma Arc weld machine? I have a Thermadyne WC100B and am looking for a suitable power supply.
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 03-21-2005 15:14
I have experience with a Thermadyne plasma welding system that consisted of all Thermadyne components, the WC100B consol, water cooler, sequencer, and a 300 amp DC inverter power supply. As you may already know, the WC100B consol serves the following functions in a plasma welding system. It provides a low current (10A) for the pilot arc between the tungsten electrode (-) and the copper plasma orifice tip (+), it also has flow meters to set the plasma and shield gas flow, it also has gas and water flow solenoids, and a gas pressure sensor (maybe a water pressure sensor also?). I recall that sometimes our system would not operate because the gas pressure was too low or the sensor was not functioning. By the way, the sensor can be adjusted and electrically tested. Now to answer your question, I suspect that virtually any DC power supply could be used.
Parent - - By JChan Date 03-22-2005 00:41
Thanks.. I've just tried the Miller with the Thermadyne WC100B. Found that the copper plasma orifice tips are getting burnt up rapidly! Any ideas?
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 03-22-2005 15:50
What type of plasma welding torch are you using? What is the diameter of the tungsten electrode? What exactly do you mean by burt up? Has the copper tip changed from bright copper color to dark black and the orifice has erroded? The copper tip needs water cooling and inert gas (argon) shielding to protect it. By the way, I believe that distilled water is recommended for cooling (no antifreeze if cooler is in a heated building) because conductivity of metallic ions in regular water can cause electolytic degradation of the power cable.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Parent - By jamesrodr (*) Date 03-30-2005 17:15
Check the hole diameter in the nozzle that you are using. It should match the current used. If the hole is to small vis a vis the current you will have a double arc which will knock off the nozzle. Just as an example a diameter 2.4mm hole is used for approx 100 amperes welding current which is suffecient to weld 4 mm plates in a single pass using 1.2mm filler wire ( SS 304 ) . I dont think the power source is going to make any difference as long as it gives a reliable and smooth current output.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma Arc Welding