Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best TIG welder options?
- - By MLP Date 03-28-2005 02:33
As a hobbyist I have done a fair amount of cooper soldering. But my desire to make larger pieces is making solder impractical. I would also like to get away from the very noticeable solder lines. I mostly work in 16-20 gage copper. From what I have been able to gleam from research is that a TIG welder would be the best bet.
Considerations for the welder:
- Able to weld small pieces of18-gage copper. (so good low range, 5 amp or less?)
- Since I do not have a permanent workspace it needs to be portable. (not over 100lbs)
- Versatility is a huge plus. I sometimes need to weld steel for work. Usually 1/8 but perhaps as thick 1/4 at times. Most job sites have a MIG welder available but not always. It is also nice to know your equipment and not have to assess if the equipment on the job site is in good working condition. It is also easier for me to justify the purchase for a hobby if I can also use it for work.J
- I am not as concerned with Aluminum welding but would like a machine I can grow into if I ever decide to move that way. (not having to shop for a new or second welder in a years time is nice)
- And of course there is always the price and value factor. I would like to get the most for my buck without going bankrupt.

A lot of ifs and addendums I know. I was curious to get some opinions and where I might need to do a little give and take. Trying to do it as close to right the first time as I can.
So I would love to hear some opinions and recommendations.

Thanks folks.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 03-28-2005 02:40
Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Inverter technology can be run on nearly all possible voltage inputs it can run off a generator. I have one of these and it is going to be topped out before you get into 100% penetration on 1/4" but it'll be a great learning machine. It has frequency adjustability, pulse, and its really cool!

Peace,
pjseaman
Parent - By MLP Date 03-30-2005 07:10
Thanks, sounds like a good machine. I had been looking at it.
Now I just need to walk around down town and look for dropped change so as to afford a set up. :)
Thanks again.
Parent - - By smokey Date 03-31-2005 00:43
Thermal Dynamics has come out with a small TIG machine (DC only) 85 amps. It should work for what you are doing with copper. It is inverter technology, about the size of a lunch box and can stick weld with 3/32 rods from a 110 volt outlet. The drawback is you will have to make a pigtail for the plug because some well meaning engineer put an odd shaped 110 volt plug on it. I think that the machine is around the $500.00 price range. I saw one demoed and it was pretty impressive. I would get one but I already have a Miller Dynasty 200 DX.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 03-31-2005 01:01
Smokey the Copper is a huge sponge for current and it takes quite a bit more amperage than even aluminum. That Therm Dyn just wont get it. We have D200DX's and I believe it is the greatest model in this output range.

Peace,
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 03-31-2005 16:51
what is the difference between the maxstar and the dynasty. on ebay i found the maxstar for 1800
Parent - By tupper (*) Date 03-31-2005 17:50
also, if you need to weld more than 1/4 steel, just use the stick wekder
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-01-2005 00:49
Dynasty has AC, Maxstar doesn't.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 04-01-2005 00:50
The Maxstar is a DC only model and isn't quite as fancy, in regards ot waveform shaping. They are good machines but AC is a requirement if aluminum is in the picture. I someone never wanted to weld aluminum and DC was all they ever needed then the Maxstar is perfect.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best TIG welder options?