Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / oxy/acetylene welding/cutting kits
- - By garrett Date 03-28-2005 23:36
Hello,
I am looking at a oxy/acetylene welding/cutting kit. I want to weld rebar and sheetmetal mostly. The kind of rebar used in concrete. I guess a half an inch thick(not sure). If i get this kit, i just need an oxygen tank and acetylene tank correct? Would i be able to weld just fine with this kit? Also, can i buy a new torch handle that has a built in wirefeed despinser thing, or is that only for certain kinds of welding systems?

Thanks ALOT,
Garrett
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-29-2005 09:58
Don't know what kit you're looking at but sheet metal and bar up to 1/2 inch isn't too demanding so you will probably do fine. You will need oxygen and acetylene tanks. Goggles are essential, gloves, chipping hammer, a book, (the army welding manual tc 9-237 is a good one http://www.fortunecity.com/village/lind/247/index_WELD.htm) or someone to show you how to get started, both of the above is best.

I have never seen a wire feeding O/A welder but there are lots of things that I've never seen.

Bill
Parent - - By Bill Mc (**) Date 03-29-2005 19:00
Now that you mention it...that might be kinda cool to have a little feeder on an O/A torch!
Parent - By garrett Date 03-30-2005 02:26
Ive heard its not possible, its only possible with continuous current welders.

O well.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / oxy/acetylene welding/cutting kits