Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / API 1104 - 5.6.2.3.Tensile Requirements.
- - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 03-30-2005 22:35
API states in these point :"If the specimen breaks below the specified minimun tensile strenght of the pipe material, the weld shall be set aside and a new test weld shall be made".
It means all the tests performed (Nick Break and Bends) should be retested too ??
Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-31-2005 13:54
That would be my interpretation.

Charles Hall
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2005 08:56
Hi Charles!

I must agree with you sir!

No offense to Giovanni but, I believe it is imperative that you re-read the statement again:
"If the SPECIMEN breaks below the specified minimum tensile strength of the pipe material, the WELD (NOT JUST THE TENSILE SPECIMEN) shall be set aside and a NEW TEST (in it's entirety, which means a completely NEW TEST - NOT ONLY THE TENSILE SPECIMEN) shall be made." This includes new nick break, and bend SPECIMENS... In other words; a Specimen (singular) comes from the Weld and is almost always only part of the WELD and, a SPECIMEN is almost always only part of the TEST...
Now as far as API 1104 is concerned I don't think one will run into a situation where only one specimen can come from one weld with regards to destructive testing because usually more than one specimen is required to be cut out from a weld... Then again, I could be incorrect but I doubt it!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 04-02-2005 11:11
Thanks a lot, absolutely clear your explanation.
Now, I am thinking in situations where We need more than one weld sample in order to complete all the tests to be done (i.e. small diameters - ASME IX), it means all the welds samples and involved tests need to be repeated in the case that any test fails in any weld samples.
It is interpretation correct.
Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-04-2005 14:20
No offense at all !!!
This is a free forum where everybody can express their opinion with no shame for being incorrect.
In my case, not being English my mother language, sometimes I make this kind of mistakes.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-04-2005 22:56
Hello Giovanni!

In any language, you are always the gentleman!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 08-20-2005 19:00
Now my question is about bend test or nick-break test.
If one of them fails against API 1104 requirements, NEW TEST shall be made ???
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-31-2005 21:21
The standard says: "........ a new TEST shall be made". The word TEST is singular, not plural, so in my opinion only the tensile test must be repeated.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By - Date 03-31-2005 21:36
".... a new TEST WELD shall be made". I would think that the new test weld would require the same tests as the weld that failed. But, that's only my opinion of the statement.

CM
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / API 1104 - 5.6.2.3.Tensile Requirements.