Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS for Pipe A53
- - By Fedex21 Date 03-31-2005 01:30
how can i make the welding procedure specification for a Pipe A53.. diameter 8".. schedule 80... can any body help me on that ?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-31-2005 13:52
You need to provide more information.

What is the code of construction?
What welding process are you intending to use?

Generally, you will need to run a procedure qualification (PQR) before you write a weld procedure. Based on what you do in the PQR, you establish parameters for the weld procedure.

The PQR requirements will be specified in a welding code. The welding code you use will be specified in the construction code.

Charles
Parent - By Fedex21 Date 04-01-2005 15:37
Ok... thanks for the advice (Y)
Parent - - By Fedex21 Date 04-01-2005 19:01
But... what should i report in the WPS ?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-01-2005 19:24
The WPS will usually contain the variables required by the applicable code and the ranges t hey are qualified to operate within the code. AWS and ASME have various codes related to welding. Within those codes, other documents or sections refer to what is required to be addressed on a WPS.

For that reason, to give just "ballpark" answers, it is good to know what code you have to work in, what process you are using, etc.

Some t hings that are addressed in a WPS include

Material Type, Thickness, Filler metal Specification, classification, amperage, voltage, backing type, backing required, etc. The list gets pretty long with some processes.

Hope this helps some

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Fedex21 Date 04-01-2005 20:46
Ok... thanks for your answer... but let me explain it... i´m an university student, i´m coursing a topic called mechanical dising nad our teacher told us to make the WPS for pipe A53, schedule 80 and diameter 8"... he didn´t give information about WPS.. or how to make a WPS.. we have no information about process or codes... he just told us to find information in the web...

In this proyect we can choose betwen ASME, ANSI and API..I found that i can use procees like SMAW, SAW, GMAW and i can use electrodes E6010 and E6011... i can use all kind of welding positions.. but !!!.. i still don´t understand how do i report all this in a WPS.. i also find the types of current taht i can use... what else do i need ?..
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 04-01-2005 21:11
fedex21: Try your luck at http://www.gowelding.com. Since you are only doing this for a school project some of it might be more than you want but you will get alot of good info including an example of how a WPS is put together. The example given happens to be an ASME WPS. Just remenber the example given is but one way of laying out a WPS.

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By Fedex21 Date 04-01-2005 21:15
Ok... thnaks for the link !
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS for Pipe A53