Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / joining flanges to larger pipe thickness
- - By dlmann (**) Date 04-02-2005 22:34
Our maintenance department wants to weld a ASTM A105, class 150, welded neck flange, std, to a ½ dia, A53, schedule 80 pipe. I have found sound technical reference for joining butt-welding fittings to pipe of equal or lesser wall thickness. However I have not found solid reference for joining a fitting to greater wall thickness. My guys want to bore the ID of the pipe to match the flange. I can’t support that idea because of the post welding hydro test requirement of 1.5 times the operating pressure (225 psi test pressure). This line transfers sarin nerve agent to an incinerator and we would prefer no leaks on the way and a solid connection at the instrument flanges. Our site specification requires class 150, schedule 80 bore, welded neck flanges, on the agent line for sizes ½ to 3 inch diameter but, I’ve been told that there is no such thing as a class 150 schedule 80 bore welded neck flange for ½ inch pipe. My search on the internet for class 150, schedule 80 bore flanges, for ½ inch pipe has not be very productive. How can such a specification be in error for so long? Or haven’t we found the right place for flanges? Its only a few thousands difference why not weld it as is?

Regards Donnie Mann
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 04-03-2005 13:55
Found an answer in B31.3, chapter V. In my case the difference is approx 0.038 in. So no special prep is needed. Only when the thickness is 1-1/2 times greater does one have to do end preparation for alignment. We ended up making this std bore, welded neck flange a temporary fix because it turns out that ½ inch, class 150, schedule 80 bore welded neck flanges are available by special order.

We did round off the edge of the inner portion of the schedule 80 pipe just a little bit to make sure there would be no lack of penetration in the root.

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-03-2005 21:51
Hi Donnie!

My only problem (It's not with you) with this is; when you mentioned that "sarin" nerve agent will be going through this line!!! Why would whoever is in charge of the design, consider it to be okay to use flanged connections at all???

I hope that hydro-testing is'nt the only test performed on the joints or is it because the powers that be - are building this facility on a "shoestring" budget without any real consideration for safety???

Good luck on the welds and, I hope you're not there when they actually run the nerve agent through the line!!! "Sheesh!!! this job gives me the creeps!!!"

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 04-03-2005 22:46

Hi All!
A Day earlier, and I'd be sure this was an April Fools Day wind-up!

Regards
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 04-03-2005 22:58
You have not lived until you do UT, VT, MT or PT while wearing 5 pairs of protective gloves in a fully encapsulated suit with a 50-pound emergency air tank and como equipment while dragging along the life support air hose.
Yes there are other tests on the agent lines. Hydro and what we call a joint tightness test. No leaks allowed (of course). Also 100% RT if the pipe spool is fabed outside the toxic area and UT in lieu of RT if the pipe is fabed in the toxic area. This is a great job!!!!

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-04-2005 23:07
Hi Donnie!
I kinda figured that you were protected but to what degree, one could only imagine! Hmm, is that sort of like a helium leak test?

I hope they're paying you enough which I strongly doubt...

May the Lord always protect you while performing your noble tasks sir.

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / joining flanges to larger pipe thickness