Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pre Welding Cleaning
- - By no1welder (*) Date 04-03-2005 04:19
Could anyone help me with where to find in the D1.1 it tells how far to clean base metal prior to welding in the weld axis! I found the paragraph about rust,mill scale,dirt ect. but I thought somewhere It said that there was a distance on either side of the weld that needed to be cleaned ! I need to be able to show them in the book. Please help. Jim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-04-2005 15:16
AWS D1.1:2004, 5.15 simply says that "Surfaces on which weld metal is to be deposited shall be.....Surfaces to be welded, and surfaces adjacent to a weld shall be...."

I don't see a definition of "adjacent" that describes it in a way as to give a specific dimension to clean on either side of the joint centerline.

In other words I guess you use your best judgement in your cleaning to achieve acceptable results.

John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-04-2005 16:26
John's answer is for new fabrications, and I believe it is correct in that the surfaces to be welded are to be free of .......... so that welds do not pick up contamination. The distance is left to interpretation.

The dimension that you might be referring to is found in 8.5.1 in the Strengthening and Repairing Existing Structures. That mentions 2" minimum. In fact, I think that it was 3" at one time, at least I think that's what the 1990 D1.1 said.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By - Date 04-04-2005 15:58
The "general rule of thumb", for what that's worth, is 1" on each side of the weld bevel because of the ability of the heat input to have the possibility of drawing contaminents into the weld pool.

CM
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 05-12-2005 14:13
I agree with cm

Thats the requirement that I enforce.

Good Luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pre Welding Cleaning