Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / 2000 AMP PORTABLE WELDER ( USED ) WANTED
- - By dive585 Date 04-03-2005 16:53
I am in need of a 2000 amp Deisel driven welder usable or in need of minor repairs . ( Like the old Big Miller's )
Also stud welder gun and control box for 1" studs .
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 04-08-2005 12:20
Good Morning dive585, I think what you are looking for is one of the 2000 amp welders built by Lincoln or Hobart. Each built a unit powered by Detroit Diesel 671 engine. These are still around and the ones I have seen sell for 15000 to 25000. Quite heavy machines and give a lot of trouble. The Lincoln was sold through Nelson and painted red. The way I understand it, Lincoln will only build these now in quantities of about 5 or 6 and Nelson priced them at about 50000 each. Miller did not build such a large machine. There are some other games you could play if you have the time, money, patience, etc. - connecting multiple diesels in parallel, for instance. Millers are particularly suited to this type of use. We have this type of equipment in stock as well as the gun and controller/timer.
The more popular way of attacking this problem, at least in our part of the world, is to get a conventional diesel generator, say about 150 kw, trailer mount it with a conventional electric stud welder and go to work. This has the added advantage of allowing dual gun use if you choose dual gun stud model. All this type of equipment is readily available. If any of this helps, email anytime.
BTW, for anyone using this type of gear, we have some of the 671 Detroit engines left.
Parent - - By dive585 Date 04-09-2005 03:35
We have used ( rented ) the diesel welders with the Contactor/ control box setup and the AC generator with the Nelson Power Supply . I am looking for what everyone wants " a real deal " .
Thanks for your info . I didn't realize the big welders went that high . Will probably stick the gen set and PS. Lots of cheap large gen sets around ( EBAY and GOV. ) .
Parent - By drbodrie Date 11-23-2005 16:31
I have both Nelson and Hobart stud welders for sale that should suit your needs. For more information, contact:

Doug Bodrie
shearweld@sbcglobal.net

Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / 2000 AMP PORTABLE WELDER ( USED ) WANTED