Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / College Degrees related to Welding
- - By cukx Date 04-03-2005 19:36
Apart from Welding Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, and Metallurgy, what other college degrees are related to the welding field and will help me progress in the welding field.
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 04-03-2005 20:27
Look up and inquire at the community colleges in and around your area. Some will offer some kind of two-year degree in welding and others will offer at least a certificiate of training.

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By pipeman1973 (*) Date 04-11-2005 11:41
You can always get your CWI and go toward the inspection side of welding. I've been looking into things as you have and have come up short with the exception of what you've found. Let me know if you find something. Good luck.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 04-12-2005 01:01
Most manufacturing degrees have welding in the course lineup as do building maintainence programs.

Hope this helps,
pjs
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-11-2005 18:29
pjs,
would you please give us a couple of examples of manufacturing degrees that have Welding in the course lineup?
Thank you
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By OSUtigger (**) Date 04-12-2005 16:02
Electrical engineers are needed to build welders, mechanical engineers design weldments, industrial engineers set up welding workstations, and civil engineers design structures that must be welded, and the list goes on and on. Each require an understanding of welding, but unfortunately this does not always happen. I have had to explain to several colleagues and peers (and professors) right here in college why aluminum cannot be welded to steel, for example. I think you will find that welding will help you advance in many fields much quicker than many fields will help you in welding.

gls
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-12-2005 14:14
Another option that is relatively inexpensive and can be done through correspondence courses is ASM Welding Metallurgy courses. At the completion of the required study material and testing the successful applicant is granted an "Extension Diploma" which is not exactly college and not exactly a "degree" but does indicate specific training to a defined set of criteria and could open several doors. Good luck!
Parent - By rburner Date 05-17-2005 00:12
The University System of Georgia and the Department of Technical and Adult Education have a joint degree named a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS). A person can get a certificate in welding, then an Associate of Applied Science from a technical college or 2-year college, and then transfer to one of 4 four year colleges in the state for your BAS degree.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / College Degrees related to Welding