Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Visual inspections on a coated weld
- - By cccasey (**) Date 04-05-2005 18:16
Are there codes or code exceptions out there that allow visual weld inspections to be performed after a weld is painted, either structural or piping?
More specifically, where in the codes (D1.1)does it say that welds must be inspected prior to coating? I read and understand section 6 part B Contractors responsibilities, but no where do I read the required condition of the weld at time of inspection.
Thanks
Parent - By gkcwi (**) Date 04-05-2005 18:50
Curtis,
While i agree there doesn't appear to be a specific line item in D1.1 Section 6 Inspection, go back to Section 5 Fabrication. 5.30 Weld Cleaning
5.30.2 Cleaning of Completed Welds- Welded joints shall not be painted until after welding has been completed and the weld accepted.

So I guess that may be the way to look at your question.

Greg
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-05-2005 18:52
I'm out of the office but looking at a D1.1-90: In the Workmanship (Section 3) paragraph 3.11.2 (Weld Cleaning) ... welded joints shall not be painted until after welding has been completed and the weld accepted. You will have to locate the exact paragraph in the '04.

We have done some inservice MT inspections through coatings, following a clients procedure. On new work however we perform all visual following welding, cleaning & stamping. When doing MT after visual we prefer to use contrast paint and I am amazed at how well porosity & undercut stand out.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 04-05-2005 23:49
Greg and Thirdeye,
Thanks for your prompt reply, I missed that paragraph in Fabrication, but that sure will suffice.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 04-06-2005 04:05
I have to agree with gkcwi. PAr. 5.30.2 says it all. The weld must be cleaned and not painted until after it is accepted.
Parent - - By pipeman1973 (*) Date 04-11-2005 11:47
The first form of NDE is always VT. If you can't see the weld you can't truly say if meets or does not meet code. Cracks and porosity can be hidden by paint. In the past I had to do some MT on painted connections and the contractor had to blast all the connections before inspection.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 04-11-2005 11:57
Thank you Pipeman. I couldn't agree more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Visual inspections on a coated weld