Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Axle shafts
- - By Skiddy (*) Date 04-22-2005 13:26
My questions is what is stronger, cro-moly or forged axle shafts? If anyone has any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Skiddy
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-23-2005 03:47
There isn't enough data here. In general the strength is effected by- alloy, carbon, chrome, molybdenum etc. Then manufacturing, forging, rolling, drawing, etc. all tend to develop grain structure which helps strength. Then heat treating which properly done optimizes the material to its use. None of these are exclusive of the others so that a forged chrome-moly part is well within the realm of possibilities.
Bill
Parent - By kawgomoo (*) Date 06-22-2005 02:09
im guessing forged are stockers and chromoly are aftermarket

in my world we use some crazy shit from sway a way... but they are never the right length. dont know if my boss is an idiot or if sway away just like to cut the shafts too long. im betting on the first one.

chromoly should be the stronger of what youre looking at... we build off road buggies.
Parent - By srw2506 (*) Date 11-14-2005 18:37
Are you talking about axle shafts for race cars,equipment,wagons?Are the chrome moly axle shafts tubes with welded ends,Solid machined?Heat treated?Are the stock forged ones stock replacements or a larger size than staock?Are they hollow?Gun drilled?Spline count?Flanged on outer end or slip on hubs?Many questions to be answered.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Axle shafts