Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Ferrite Predictor
- - By BertJanssens Date 04-22-2005 18:06
Does anyone know where I can get Ferrite Predictor, a program from the AWS. It predicts the type of microstructure in the weld metal and is shown on a shaeffler diagram.
I can't find anything about it on the site or anywhere else on the net.
Parent - By - Date 04-22-2005 19:36
May I recommend getting the computerized version, which is apparently what you are talking about. It shows base metal analysis, weld metal analysis, and diluted weld metal analysis both by the various diagrams and by computerized predictions of the Schaeffler, DeLong, WRC-1988, and WRC-1992. I'm a Welding Engineer and I use mine all the time. Mine is the AWI (American Welding Institute) Version 3.21. I think you can get it from Lincoln. Remember, it is just what is says, a prediction. There is no "absolute" way to measure ferrite except by an expensive metallurgical point count, but the Ferritrpredictor is the closest to actual values.

Chuck
Parent - By - Date 04-22-2005 19:43
I just pulled up my Ferritepredictor on my computer and here is some information for you. Mine is put out by the American Welding Institute, not the AWS, but it is very accurate and is considered the closest to predicting actual values.

American Welding Institute
10628 Dutchtown Road
Knoxville, Tn. 37932

phone: (423) 675-2150.

It is a program you load into your computer and is very easy to use. Good luck.

Chuck
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-26-2005 01:22
There's a portable instrument called Ferritoscope, made in Germany by a firm Fischer Technology, with which you can measure at site the ferrite content of a stainless steel with no need to take it to the lab.
Their site is www.fischer-technology.com.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Ferrite Predictor