Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where can I get certification in NY
- - By adam 4 Date 04-23-2005 02:19
Does anyone have any info on were to get certifiyed in New York I have looked all over . If anyone has any info it will help alot. Thanks W2
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 05-11-2005 13:02
Certified for? I believe the NYS DOT {Structures Div.(518) 457-6827} oversees NYS Welder's Certs. Many welders travel to Modern Welding in the Capitol District to take their qualification test. Incidently the NYS DOT evaluates (X-Ray and Certifies) at no charge. There is a charge for using the testing facility. Hope this helps.
Parent - - By gkcwi (**) Date 05-11-2005 19:08
Adam,
NY DOT does indeed mantain "WELDER" cert.program in the state. On thing you should know- Certification is only good for 6 months-If you are doing field welding, the EIC on the job HAS to sign your card, unfortunately not many will do thing for you. If you work in a shop- the company has to continuely be working on DOT projects, if more than 6 months pass, you lose your cert.
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 05-20-2005 12:32
I don't know where you got your information. Please Read the following from the NYS DOT
" The certification is good for three years .
He must have a professional or a department EIC attest that he has welded at least 6 days every 6 months for the three years. So if a welder worked in three seasons and was laid off for the winters, he would still be certified. "
It is unfortunate that many welder get retested every year due to misinformation like this. If you are in doubt please call the number listed above. They will help you. They also have a list of testing sites where you can take your test!

Parent - By brande (***) Date 05-21-2005 03:33
The NY certificationis a 3 yr cert, as long as you weld with the selected process regularlywith no more than 6 months off. Same as AWS D1.1, but you have your xrays signed off by NYDOT in Albany.

FWIW-NYC passes this responsibility off to the NY state.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 03-15-2006 21:07
It is my understanding the NYC Dept. of Buildings issues Welder Certification Cards - my question is what criteria does NYC use for this certification?
Parent - By kbutton Date 07-29-2008 13:18
I work for the NYSDOT Region 6 out of Hornell, NY.  At one time, my duties included handling the NYSDOT welding certification exams.  At that time, we would actually go to a location of an individual's preference.  The individual would be responsible for providing location, equipment and plates on a date of mutual choosing.  I would monitor the test, make out the paperwork, and send the plates to Albany for X-rays.  I would then distribute the pass (cards)/fail (letter) info after getting the results back from Albany.  NYSDOT is made up of 11 regions.  Region 6 out of Hornell covers the area of Allegany, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben and Yates counties.  Region 5 is out of Buffalo and Region 4 is Rochester, etc.   This service was once free of charge.  However, that has changed in most regions.  Region 6 passed the duties over to Alfred State College in Alfred, NY.  ASC holds its NYSDOT certification tests on a scheduled basis.  They provide everything you need except personal equipment and welding rods.  There is a fee.  Most regions have similar arrangements...some test out of union halls, BOCES, etc.
If you would like specific info on the NYSDOT field welding certification, the website below will explain the procedure.

https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/portal/divisions/engineering/structures/repository/files/FW_Brochure_4-07_0.pdf
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where can I get certification in NY