Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Titanium Welding
- - By jayadair Date 04-26-2005 23:38
I'm looking at getting into Titanium welding, but I haven't been able to find any schools that do any training in this area. I was wondering if anyone knew where i should start looking to get some training in titanium welding. or actually get my certification in Titanium.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-27-2005 09:48
Hi Jayadair!

It just so happens that ATI Wah Chang/Allegheny Technologies Laboratory & Technical Services happens to be holding a seminar in July 19 -21st and August 2 - 4 of this year...

I was just on their website earlier today because someone else asked me a similar query...

Anywho, It's a three day "Welding of Reactive and Refractory metals" seminar where they will show you how to properly weld Ti, Zirconium, and if I remember correctly Niobium-Ti... They Do prefer that prospective attendees have knowledge of GTAW of stainless steel or Aluminum.

I believe the price for the seminar is $299 without accommodations but, what the heck!!! They give you lunch and a list of local motels is available upon request. They also run corrosion seminars too...

Now, if I only could remember their url for their website...
Must drink more bustello!!! When I find the website, I'll post you the website here Jayadair...

Edit:As promised:
http://www.wahchanglabs.com/index.cfm?CenterFrameSource=display.cl_overview

Look for the link "Education & Training" and you'll find the info you seek!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By jayadair Date 04-27-2005 20:09
Thanks SSBN727 i'll look in to it, and hopefully i can schedule my work around the seminar.
Parent - By mometal77 (*) Date 05-14-2005 02:02
What kind of work do you do. I tried welding this stuff in college in a contained bubble with argon flow tricky stuff.. Some student that worked at a paper mill donated some old titanium then found out how much it costed by the pound and took it back lol.
bob
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 05-15-2005 21:06
Good-luck with trying to get into a class to do Titanium welding.
I,m a welding instructor and i teach one titanium class per year. There are only 12 students per class. The major problem with teaching titanium is the cost of material and argon. Five pounds of ti rods cost $300.00 and 6" sch 40 ti pipe cost almost $10,000.00. Gas consumption is very high. For 12 students we use liquid argon because of the high flow rates. Then, there is the need for special jigs and trailing shields.
Good-luck.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-16-2005 02:00
Lincoln Electric has a motorsports training program, in the basic class is Aluminum and Stainless as well as metalurgy in the Advanced class they go into Titanium, Inconel, and Magnesium.

Hope this helps,
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Titanium Welding