Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT and tests of HSA's
- - By ziggy (**) Date 04-27-2005 15:38
D1.1 Section 7.8.2 allows the inspector to select a reasonable number of additional studs to be subjected to testing. C7.8.2 speaks of the Engineer making the call on if the failure rate is "high."
Would not the contract specifications indicate a fall out rate (%) before additional testing? And also specify the amount (%) of additional tests?
Thanks
ziggy
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 04-27-2005 16:15
In a perfect world the contract would spell everything out so there would be no disputes. So far (and I've only been in the workforce about 20 years) I haven't seen a perfect world scenario yet.

In this case, reasonable is totally subjective. I would expect the QC inspector to do more than what would normally be done if he had any doubt about the acceptability of the welding. Studs go on fast and furious. If the set up changes (equipment, power fluctuations, lead length, cleanliness of the base metal, atmospheric conditions, etc) you can see a rapid reduction in quality of the weld. An inspector that sees a big difference in visual appearance of the weld is justified in rooting out the cause.

Most Inspectors we've dealt with simply want to make sure repeatability is attained. If every third or fourth weld looks suspect, expect to test a lot more.

Charles
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-27-2005 19:48
Hi Ziggy,

I'll assume you're inspecting after the fact, rather than during production. First, I can't recall ever seeing anything in any contract specifications addressing additional inspection of studs. To me, testing a "reasonable number of additional studs" would mean testing enough studs to assure me that they are now meeting code requirements after initial failures have been discovered. The more failures found, obviously the more frequent the number of studs that are tested. When it gets to that point, then it's time to notify the EOR. If, in the judgement of the EOR, the studs welded are not in accordance with code provisions as indicated by inspection and testing, corrective action would be required of the contractor at his expense. To ensure that subsequent welds will meet code requirements, corrective action may include changes to the welding procedure, welding equipment, or stud base. The contractor may be required to submit samples of the studs so that the validity of the manufacturers certs of stud base weldability can be verified.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT and tests of HSA's