Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / weld preps on drawings
- - By jbrotzman (*) Date 04-28-2005 14:16
Simple question. Is it general practice to depict a weld prep on a part detail explicitly (i.e., show chamfered edges on parts joined by a groove weld) or to indicate the weld with a welding symbol only? Is this covered by AWS?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-28-2005 14:32
In 44 years of practice of the engineering profession, having taken part in dozens of engineering projects, some of them small and other quite huge, having worked with dozens of engineering companies, some of them almost unknown and others which were famous all over the world, I've seen both procedures, i.e., sometimes the welding details were drawn and sometimes were indicated by the AWS symbols.
In my particular opinion, good engineering practice recommends to use the AWS symbols, so there won't be any wrong interpretation.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jbrotzman (*) Date 04-28-2005 17:55
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to divine the standard practice so as to set company standards. The extra work of drawing the prep features makes little sense to me but I'm trying to see what AWS and industry professionals think is standard.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2005 11:53
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=6993

John Wright
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2005 18:39
AWS welding symbols will usually do the trick in 95% of the cases. However, use a sketch if a standard welding symbol does fit your needs. Don't make up welding symbols to describe conditions that aren't addressed by A2.4. For example; a partial circle located at the apex of the leader and reference line should not be used to specify a weld that is "nearly" all around. The weld is all around or it isn't.

I've run into many "designer" welding symbols that only confuse the welder and supporting staff.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / weld preps on drawings