Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Socket weld gaps before welding dmw's
- - By mnelson (*) Date 04-29-2005 14:33
Thought this would be more appropriate in the Inspector's Forum. We recently socket welded 3" schedule XXS, grade P22 pipe to a 2500 lb, A182 grade F304 flange. The pipe to socket gap was set at 1/8" prior to welding. Four tack welds were made. At welding conclusion, the 1/8" gap had closed. Welding was done with ENiCrFe-2 electrode with 450 degree preheat, no PWHT. Cx=.750". Anyone experience this kind of movement during socket welding?
Parent - By - Date 04-29-2005 15:52
See my answer under the "Shop Talk" category. I'm sure you will get more responses to your inquiry, though.

CM
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 04-29-2005 22:24
Was the gap still closed after cooling? I've seen that many times after cooling you get the gap back. Thats what the gap is for.
Parent - - By - Date 04-29-2005 23:24
UCSB,
When welding stainless and Cr-Mo, one will experience elongation, or grain growth in the weld and HAZ. This is not at all uncommon. With the stainless and Cr-Mo it is unlikely that the steel will contract back to it's original size. Once the molecules "stretch", or elongate, they pretty much stay there. This is quite typical of stainless steel especially. You are right, that is exactly what the gap is there for in the first place, the elongation, or grain growth due to the high heat encountered during the welding process.

CM
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 05-01-2005 02:04
If you are the C Meadows of Avesta please contact me. If you are you helped me get through 2205 qualification. If you read this post click on my name to get contact info.
Dennis
Parent - By - Date 05-01-2005 02:31
Dennis,
It is me if you passed the qualification. If you did not, it was my evil twin. <smile> I'll email you. Thanks..

Chuck

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Socket weld gaps before welding dmw's