Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / air conditioner line sets
- - By DASARO Date 05-02-2005 18:15
my question is in regard to what seems like controversy?

I have seen web pages that affirm that a hard solder (braze joint) is the only acceptable method of joining refregerant lines.

However I have also seen on JW Harris web site that silver solder (their staybrite product) is perfectly acceptable.

One page I found leaned toward soldering since the low heat keeps the copper tubing from being annealed.

Other pages say that the braze joint is harder and better than soft solders.

I can soft solder pretty well. my brazing is OK, so I dont have a preference either way.. Just curious what everyone else thinks....

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-02-2005 18:21
I may be way off base with this line of thinking, but my thought would be that the softer solder would work better in an environment that receives vibration from the compressor.(more flexable)
John Wright
Parent - By unomike2 Date 07-06-2005 14:17
Having been in the refrigeration business for 15+ years, I have found brazing with hard solder works better in the long run. It withstands vibrations and heat/cooling temperature varations better than silver solder and at less cost and time consumed to make the joint. To me, annealing of the copper lines have never been a problem just as long as I work the flame on the part that actually will need the solder. Once I heat the parts to temperature (not cherry red, just a slight glow) , the solder usually flows or gets sucked into the joint without any trouble or reheating. If you can do this,usually your joints will look factory perfect and pass inspection.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / air conditioner line sets