Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Appearent hardfacing
- - By happybearwelder (*) Date 05-08-2005 13:45
I was looking at a D6R Catapiller this AM and saw something I have never seen before on a pushing blade. Not having done any blade maintence except hardfacing the scraping edge what I saw made me very curious. About half way up the blade were a series of stringer beads in the shap of squairs, to diamonds, and triangles, about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch. All of which had 1 inch ish circles in the center. I would have to guess these stringers are hardfacing, but what is the pattern for?
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 05-09-2005 02:15
the pattern breaks up the monotony. building a checkerboard pattern gets to you after awhile. once i filled a backhoe bucket with smiley faces.
Parent - - By happybearwelder (*) Date 05-10-2005 01:34
Ok, I can relate to mototony. I really hate to sound like a real dunce, I still dont know why? What is the point? Like I said I have never done maintenance on heavy equipment.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 05-10-2005 04:48
happy:
A legitimate question.

It is simply to replace worn areas of blades, buckets, etc. of any machinery or equipment that undegoes wear in lieu of replacing the entire unit or structure. Often hardfacing requires an interface material for build-up or aiding in the final weld metal properties such as impact, wear, abrasion, etc.

I used to do this and we even welded additional material to new components before they ever went into service. The patterns are basically the welders signature. But, it is also a method of reducing the amount of welding required. (Kind of like waxing a floor in arcs in lieu of circluar patterns, it is simply more efficient.)

Some of us use the padding technique, others use happy faces...
Parent - By jfwi (*) Date 05-11-2005 15:07
Having done my fair share of hardfacing, simply siad coverage, the more area covered the less area to be worn.

Jerry
Parent - - By andy (**) Date 05-10-2005 08:07
There is a relationship between hardfacing patterns and service depending on if the service is sliding wear, crushing wear etc. I'm not sure how much this is relied on in practice and I,m not in this field myself, but here are some articles that help explain some of th patterns encountered.

http://www.rocklandmfg.com/loaders/hard_facing.htm

http://www.supplycorp.com.au/weldingInfoSupport/Hardfacing.htm

www.cigweld.com.au/pages/ images/techinfo/consumtech/hardface.pdf

PS I'm sure that boredom and monotony contribute to different patterns also.

Andy
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-10-2005 13:24
Andy:
I was told years ago by a very old mechanic that these patterns had to do with the type of service encountered. This is the first time I've seen this explained.

Good reply Andy! There you go Happybear.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-10-2005 13:29
p.s.: Do you have a link for the happy face patterns?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 14:02
DGXL,
That would be a intergration of the Dot pattern and the straight stringer pattern that was slightly altered for effect :)
John Wright
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 05-12-2005 12:48
my understanding has been that using a "pattern" as opposed to solid padding allows the material being pushed or moved by the blade to be captured or accumulate to some degree in or between the spaced beads, thereby allowing less direct wear to the steel as the blade pushes material against itself and does not abrade the blade, and with less hardfacing necessary.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 05-14-2005 01:00
BINGO! Let the material do some of the work.If you use a waffle pattern in dirt, like bowl sides on scrapers, your pattern fills with dirt to protect the steel from wear.
Jeff
Parent - - By labtechy (*) Date 06-27-2005 16:48
Yes that's why we use a cross hatch pattern. (to catch the material your are "pushing"). I have seen newbies run stringer on top of stringer only to be corrected by an older tradesman.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-27-2005 22:35
Also, hardfacing costs a lot of money. Someone could cover a wear surface 100% but the extra cost is a waste of money and no more effective than the cross hatch pattern.
Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Appearent hardfacing