Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Galvanized steel
- - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 05-11-2005 15:37
Hello.
We have welded galvanized sheet steel metal with GMAW (short circuit transfer) or SMAW, but I was studying in Metals Handbook Vol. 6 that this kind of base material can be soldered very well. The soldered of galvanized steel may be an excellent solution to us in order to reduce distortion, however I can´t to find specific information about soldering or brazing galv. sheet steel such as filler metal, flux, process, etc.
It is possible to solder this material? Do you have some reomendation about it or some book's names?

Thanks for any help.

Jorge Giraldo
jegirald@unalmed.edu.co
Medellín, Colombia
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-11-2005 16:13
http://www.jwharris.com/jwref/chart/
HTH,
John Wright
Parent - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 05-13-2005 11:49
Thanks for your information John.

Jorge Giraldo
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 05-14-2005 03:42
For thin metal welding, such as duct work I use Everdure 656 (Miller Product). It is great for welding galvanized material. It is used with tig welding, you need to direct the arc on the rod. It flows on like brazing (very effective and fast). Depending where you are from, you may have to get a similiar product form a different company.
http://www6.us.airliquide.com/cgi-bin/CABVP-US/HardgoodProductDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0566717598.1116528908@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddejhmmjffcflgcegfdfhndfjo.0&catOID=-8283&strProdCategory=WS

Good-luck.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-14-2005 11:57
The main problem in soldering galvanized steel is the difficulty of wetting the zinc coating by the solder. A corrosive flux, consisting of zinc-, ammonium-, and stannous-chlorides with a small amount of muriatic acid, and a 60/40 or 50/50 tin-lead solder gives satisfactory results. The flux is applied and allowed to stand on the zinc coating for a few minutes. The solder is then applied to the joint with a large soldering iron that is rubbed on the joint surface to expedite the wetting action of the solder. Flux residues must be thoroughly removed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Galvanized steel