Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI help
- - By mrwelder (*) Date 05-14-2005 22:37
Im a teacher from Ohio and Im going to take the CWI/CWE course and test at hobart next year sometime. Can you give me any info on what to expect questins, books, hands on part..... I feel dum because I know nothing when it comes to certification, codes and procedures. But Im a exelint welder though. I just thought if I get this I will improve the minds of my students. I owe it to them.

thanks
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 05-14-2005 23:40
Much of what you will need to know is general welding information. I will list the topics in the welding inspection technology text book for you.
1. Welding inspection and certification, (QC1-96)
2. Safe practices for welding inspectrors
3. Metal joining and cutting processes
4. Weld joint geometry and welding symbols
5. Documents WPS PQR WPQR
6. Metal properties and distructive testing
7. Metrics
8. Metallurgy
9. Weld and base metal discontinunities
10. Visual inspection and other NDE methods and symbols

If you want to read this book and study the practice tests email me and I can to get them to you for your class study. Just click on my name in the reply to see my email address.
Just wanting to help!
Dennis
Parent - By vinylrace Date 10-06-2005 09:32
hey dennis i'm plaining on taking the cwi test in feb.. here in atlanta was wondering if you could send me that info so i may study up on it..
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-06-2005 14:50
mrwelder,

There is plenty of information in the archives on the CWI exam. By changing the number of days to 999 and the number of posts to 100 will get more responses. In a post by DonSims, below, he offers to e-mail some of his recollections about the exam.

Allow plenty of time to study and good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions, this is the place.

Happy Trails

~thirdeye~
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 11-17-2005 17:35
You might check on the first two books listed at http://www.welding.org/cart/training/awsbooks.htm

It may also help you to obtain the code book that you wish to test to in advance (AWS D1.1 or API 1104 or other) and become familiar with it. You'll need to purchase it for the class and the exam anyway.

You'll receive good preparation from the class at Hobart.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI help