Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LEADED STEEL
- - By Alison (*) Date 05-18-2005 14:20
Hi all-

I just had a bunch of steel barstock scrap given to my high school shop. Mostly cold rolled, but the person donating it thought there might be some leaded steel in with the bunch. (It's from a machine shop.)

Is there and easy way to tell whether or not a piece is leaded? I know it doesn't weld well, but outside of test welding each piece of barstock is there a way to distinguish which is which?

Thanks....Alison
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-18-2005 17:53
There are actually seven different tests that can be performed in the shop to identify materials. They are: appearance test, fracture test, spark test, torch test, magnetic test, chisel test, and hardness test. Rather than a very long post, I sent you an e-mail describing each method of testing. Also, If you resort to test welding, remember that lead dust and fumes are poisonous, so exercise extreme care.
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 05-18-2005 19:05
Try a product call LeadChek, though I have never used it to identify lead steel.

You squeeze some fluid out onto the tip of a swab. Rub the tip of the swab on the surface to be tested. If the yellow fluid turns pink... , it's lead. Abot $3.00 for a package of two swabs.

I buy in the paint department of Lowes and HomeDepot.

Another Test

I must caution you that adequate safety procedures must be followed.

If you have a chemistry laboratory at your school, have someone trained in safety chemical handling procedures, such as the chemistry instructor, perform this test.

1. Immerse the sample in warm nitric acid (50% v)

2. Add one drop concentrated sulfuric acid to the nitric acid solution. A white precipitate indicates lead.