Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welder for a Newbie
- - By Bo Lasquis Date 05-21-2005 22:34
I have never welded an inch of bead in my life but I want to learn to weld so I can do my own welding on my car restoration projects (body work, chassis work, etc.) and various home projects (trailer, grinder stand, shelf frames, router table, etc.). My car restoration buddies tell me I will be much happier with a 220 volt welder than I will be with a 110V welder. Based on everything I've read about quality, workmanship, and features, I've narrowed my search down to the Lincoln SP-175, the Millermatic 175, and maybe the Hobart Handler 175 or 180.

Any recommendations to help a newbie make the right choice between these, or other options I should consider?

Thanks.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-21-2005 23:58
I've owned Lincoln and Miller in slightly different classes, but I personnally prefer the Miller. I have used several of the mid range millermatics. I believe if you can afford the Miller DVI you will be better off. It is able to run on 110 and 220 so it is more adaptable. It will cost a bit more but well worth the money.Afriend of mine did field testing on this model and it really works well.

pjseaman
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-22-2005 12:47
I think your friends and the advice above are on the right track. I am presently involved in car restoration and own a Lincoln SP+ 135 (110 V.). While I find it is great for light work, most of the rest of the projects you mention require a bit more muscle. I use a stick welder(SMAW) to provide this , but this will require spending some time developing the skill to use it.

The machines you list are have the capacity to accomplish the projects you mention, and apparently, you have 220V access and can avoid the expense of its installation (which can be considerable).

The other options you should consider involve tig welding (GTAW) and newer inverter technology, rather than
mig (GMAW). Again, this would involve more skill development, but if speedy production and low cost are not major issues, tig may be a better process for much of your restoration work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welder for a Newbie