Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Aluminium TIG welding
- - By andreito Date 05-21-2005 22:53
Hi everybody. Just joined the Forum. Need some help in starting using an AC/DC rig 160 A I have bought about one month ago (Telwin -Italy)fully programmable (i.e. Amps, pulse, slope, HF etc) with 15 programs included and 15 empty locations for self programs. I am pretty proficient in Oxyacetylene, brazing and stick welding (have another small inverter also equipped with TIG-but only DC-torch) and have so far obtained acceptable results in TIG welding mild steel. Cannot weld Aluminium though( my aim would be to join together 1/16" sheets, when making small boxes and containers, rather than have to rivet them).
I have so far been setting the machine according to recommended program(s) but I keep melting the darned metal on the two sides of the joint, rather than getting a proper pool (with or without a stick). Have brushed and cleaned with acetone everything. Obviously the machine is not(yet) properly adjusted for the job. So far I have tried the recommended manufacturer's programs, lowered the amps, switched from balanced to unbalanced pulse but at no avail. Could anybody suggest a starting pattern, from which I could proceed? I have read several books (the Miller GTAW brochure among them) and followed their advises, but I am afraid I have not yet found a correct method from where to start experimenting, before proceeding to real jobs.
Thanks a lot for any help.
Parent - By animeozzy Date 05-25-2005 17:35
hi i've just been welding Aluminium for few months
i have best results by setting the tig welder as low as i can and i go up as needed hope this helps
Parent - By andreito Date 05-26-2005 19:23
Thanks for hint. Will try and let you know. Meanwhile have visited Telwin to-day and got a demonstration on 1 mm Aluminium and , practically, what they recommend checks with your advise, i. e. starting with 20 Amps and going up to about 30. 1/16" pure Tungsten electrode, 100-120 Hz frequency. I also bought a pedal and to- morrow will try it. If interested, will report results hoping to help generally.
Cheerio
Andreito
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Aluminium TIG welding