Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Can someone help me?
- - By kewl_car_dude Date 05-21-2005 23:58
Hi. My name is Allan and i am 14 years old (turning 15 in july) I love cars and I really want to learn how to weld so i can restore old cars. I love to work on cars and build things using metal but i dont know how to weld. I always had my mom's ex-boyfriend weld for me and he wouldn't teach me how to do it myself because he was, to put it nicely, a butthead. I would really appreciate if someone can help me out, or at least piont me in the right dircetion. At my school there is no metalworking class or welding clas and the next closest place is 50 miles away so i can't really make it there to learn. Thanks Alot
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-22-2005 05:37
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking us to do but- here is a link to a manual you might like to look at- http://www.fortunecity.com/village/lind/247/index_WELD.htm
Years ago I bought an oxyacetylene outfit and a book and went out in the garage and melted stuff till I got the hang of it. You'll learn quicker if somebody shows you how, but it's not impossible to learn by yourself. Be careful, you can hurt yourself and you can set fire to things. If you find somebody welding ask questions. Lots of people have a spare helmet someplace and will let you watch.

Come back here and ask questions too.
Bill
Parent - - By kewl_car_dude Date 05-22-2005 14:08
Thanks alot. you about covered what i was looking for I appreciate it. Do you have an e-mail addres? Maybe we could talk sometme. Here is mine
kewl_car_dude@myway.com
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-29-2005 03:30
Click on my name above, email is there.
Bill
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 05-22-2005 19:26
Allan,

Your school may not have a "metalworking" or "welding" class, but does it have an FFA chapter or an agricultural shop? Farming may not be your primary interest, but due to its utility, farming does use a lot of welding, and FFA provides an introductory level into that. I realize you may not have an FFA chapter or you may have already checked on this, but my school does not nor will it ever have classes devoted only to metalworking or welding due to its small size, but does have several welders and classes in which it is taught, again, because of its small size (agricultural community) and the need to learn it.

gls
Parent - - By mksqc (**) Date 05-23-2005 21:09
PERHAPS YOU COULD FIND A WELD SHOP IN YOUR COMUNITY THAT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO BARTER SOME LABOR WORK FOR INFORMATION AND SHOP TIME.THE TWO BIGEST THINGS IN WELDING ARE KNOLEDGE AND A WHOLE LOT OF PRACTICE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Parent - By CallMeTigger Date 06-08-2005 04:29
I put up with the farmer boys and the jaws full of beachnut to learn how to stick weld, good thing was I was under the hood the whole time.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Can someone help me?