Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AMSE B31.3 Table 341.3.2
- - By dlmann (**) Date 05-23-2005 09:43
Hello All: I reading AMSE B31.3 1996, Table 341.3.2 Criterion Value Notes Symbol "L" concerning height of reinforcment. I understand the values under the "Height" column to be maximum values. Is this correct?
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-23-2005 10:01
Yes they are the maximum height values, but for each face of the weld. Not total reinforcement.
Root and Cap.
For example, if the maximum allowable reinforcement is 1.6mm, that would be for each face of the weld.
When performing Radiographic interpretation, you would take the nominal wall thickness plus the maximum reinforcement for the cap and the maximum reinforcement for the root. The wall thickness plus 3.2mm.
This has been debated heavily in the past.
For anyone who disagrees, I have a B31.3 Code Committee Interpretation to clarify this.
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 05-23-2005 10:20
NDTIII: Thanks for the Reply. Seems like I thought you were in the Kingdom of SA for a while. Now it looks like you are in Thailand. Follow the big bucks I say.
Back to the question. My inquiry was for the internal reinforcement. I like our welders to get good penetration on flange hub to pipe welds by having decent root reinforcement. But tonight one of the less experienced welders was welding 6 in dia sch 10s Hastelloy and couldn’t get what I call a good internal cap. Some places were flat with the base metal and I wanted to be sure the visual was in code before the spool piece went out for RT.
One other thing, it never occured to me that the "L" also included the external cap. Learned something tonight.
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-23-2005 11:25
Glad to help Donnie. I am still in KSA, but on vacation at the moment in the Philippines, not Thailand.
The "L" measurement is the visual inspection criteria. When you measure the reinforcement, that is your max allowable reinforcement. That is the max. Flush is also acceptable.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AMSE B31.3 Table 341.3.2