Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fab Shop and Painted Material
- - By QCCWI (***) Date 05-23-2005 13:13
I am the Quality Control Manager at a fab shop and I would like to know how other fab shops handle jobs where some pieces get painted and some don't. I get tired of having to put my hands on every piece of steel and saying paint this but don't paint that. There has got to be a better way that I just have not found yet.

Signed, One Tired Babysitter
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-23-2005 14:24
We have Fabtrol. In Fabtrol, there is a list called "Assemblies Left to Load". Our trailer loaders and our paint department get copies. This is a list of every shipping mark and quantity either on a job, or on a batch of drawings. This sheet has the type of surface preparation, the type of paint, unless noted, dry film thickness, and the ship date. If there are marks that receive no paint, we indicate no paint items with an *. If there are marks to be galvanized, we indicate those with another identifying mark on the sheets. The paint guys always know what they need to do just by looking at these sheets.
Years ago, everything was done by hand. I used to work in the shop office, and one of my duties was, as we received shop drawings, to make shipping lists for each job. This list was pretty much the same as the Fabtrol list. In the title block, I filled in the job number, name of the job, job location, surface preparation, type of paint, dry film thickness, and ship date. I then made a list of all quantities and shipping marks on the job. If there were any shipping marks that were to receive no paint, I put a red asterisk beside that mark on the list. If there were pieces to be galvanized, I put a red triangle beside that mark on the list. This is a very efficient way to transfer information to the paint shop. Before the first beam hits the fabrication departments, the paint shop already has a list and knows exactly what they have to paint. The list also serves as a way to keep up with the status of a painted job, because the guys circle items off as they're finished. You need to have whoever makes up your cutting lists to make up a shipping list for each job, with all the pertinent information that I have just described. I still have a copy of my old shipping list. If you'd like me to fax it to you, please post your fax number.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2005 14:31
Here is how we handle painted/no-paint/galvanized materials. We work everything by a shop order, thus all painted materials are on one shop order, non-painted items are on another shop order and galvanized on yet another shop order.
Painted shop orders still require the fitters to mark around all slip critical bolts "no paint within 3"(NP3"o's) of open holes", and they also have to note "No Paint at Top flange"(NPTF) if there are studs to be shot in the field on composite beams.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-25-2005 13:45
Depending on the size of the job, we may mark the back of our piecemark tags with "paint" or "galv" or whatever. On larger jobs, we use surveyor's tape to color code where pieces will be stored. This is done just prior to the piece leaving the fabrication area.

Chet Guuilford
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 05-26-2005 20:53
At our shop, in addition to the 2" x 3" x 1/8" stamped tag (either attached with wire or welding) or Peddinghaus scribed ID, we almost always use paint stick ( http://www.markal.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=86 ) to write on the piece the Job#, ID, Sequence (if sequenced) and P, NP or G. This is done by the person performing the QC dimensional check. This writing is put on the bottom of the baseplate or top AND bottom flange of beams. This is so pieces can be readily located outside in the yard after removal from the shop. The piece is ready to leave the shop when a painted code (default or Sequence 1, green; S#2, yellow, S#3, red; etc.) is applied adjacent to the ID showing the piece has been accepted, documented for production and QC and is ready for coating operations. This lets the material handlers readily know where the piece is to be stored in the yard. If it is to be painted, then it is put near the blast area. If no paint is required, then it is put away awaiting shipping. If it is galvanized, then it is stored in another stack to be shipped to the galvanizer. Material handlers are not supposed to remove ANYTHING from the doorway that has not been marked as accepted and accounted for. Yes, this can be alot of writing, but when a piece must be recalled for revision, or to verify production/QC reports, that writing becomes very beneficial. In addition, it helps the material handlers (face it they are not usually rocket scientists) know what to do without having to ask alot of questions.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fab Shop and Painted Material