Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NEW JOB
- - By sshearer Date 05-23-2005 17:59
Hey guys i just got a new job but the bad thing is I dont know anything about MIG welding and thats the job they gave me. I'm not even sure if i remember how to TIG either . I know cause I'm a girl I'm going to get a lot of crap out there but is it better to know nothing and have them teach me how they want me to do it . Just wondering .

Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-23-2005 18:20
I'm just wondering how you got a job as a mig welder and you don't know anything about the process. Usually, hiring an inexperienced person is a last resort, but I do know that sometimes it is easier to hire someone who knows nothing and train them a certain way, than to hire someone with experience who is pretty much set in their ways, can't be told anything one way or the other, and is not very willing to change. Sometimes, those guys heads are harder than the steel they're welding on. As for getting a lot of crap, hey, we all had to learn sometime. Just don't fall for the old tricks like: go get me a left handed screw driver, a sky hook, or a bucket of steam.
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 05-23-2005 19:22
I know how to MIG and TIG weld. I can tell you that if you have the patience to TIG weld then you should have no problem MIG welding. The way I see it TIG welding is a talent few people have and MIG welding is a skill a lot of people have. MIG welding is mostly squeeze the trigger and go. How fast to go will come with experience. Remember CAN'T NEVER COULD and like Jimmy V. said DON"T EVER GIVE UP.
Parent - By CallMeTigger Date 06-08-2005 04:04
Mig welding is very simple but also simple to screw up.

I think being female you'll have guys in line to help ya out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NEW JOB