Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME IX joints
- - By dvandyke Date 05-25-2005 16:21
I am a CWI, familiar with D1.1, but new to Section IX and need a check on what I am reading.

In QW-255, grove design (QW 402) is not listed as an essential variable for WPS qual of FCAW. It is also not listed in QW-355 performance quals.

Does this mean that quals on any groove can be used for any other groove design? So can a 75deg single vee groove WPS be used to weld a square butt with the same root opening range? This does not make sence to me, but I cannot find a part of the spec that addresses this.

Please help.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 05-25-2005 17:00
Your interpretation is correct.

Make sure you verify the welder is qualified without backing (unless the joint design is with backing); also, make sure you verify the diameter limits of the welder if pipe welding is to be performed.

Charles
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 05-25-2005 17:27
I seems to me that ASME IX presupposes that the user knows how to produce sound welds and AWS D1.1 presupposes the user knows nothing about welding.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-26-2005 04:22
Hi all!
So far, both replies are "Copastetic" to me FWIW...

In other words, "I concur" or, "AYE - AYE SKIPPER!!!" or even "Roger that".

OH BTW, we already use a WPS I recently qualified in a similar manner FWIW...

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 05-31-2005 16:34
Thats a great observation MB
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2005 12:28
Good morning;

Regarding ASME weld joints. Many of the ASME code sections refer to ANSI B16.25 for standard pipe joints. In one pressure piping code, diviation from the standard pipe joints requires the proposed joint detail be qualified to verify the joint design is viable.

Another pitfall can occur when you are joining dissimilar metals or using a filler metal that is dissimilar to the base metal. The joint detail and welding process may alter the weld deposit chemistry, thus change the A number. Any change in the A number will be cause to requalify the procedure.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME IX joints