Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Protective oil coating; a stupid idea?
- - By - Date 11-06-2000 19:35
Recently a someone approached me
with a question regarding protective sprays for
MIG/MAG-welding.

The function of the spray is to coat the inside of the
nozzle with a layer of oily lubricant and thereby
making it harder for spatter to clog the nozzle.

The spray is also sometimes used to coat the workpiece
so that spatter cannot bond to the metal.

QUESTION:
Normally We do our best to REMOVE oil from the workpiece.
Why should We then spend time and money to risk contaminating
our welds?

I'm not saying that I'ts a bad idea to spray directly att the
joint prior to welding, since that obviously would be utterly
stupid. To spray beside the joint, and risk contamination just
to decrease the effects of spatter, is the issue
here.

I've never used such a spray myself but I hope that someone
who uses these kind of products could tell me why and set me
straight.

Regards:

SwellGuy (bent)
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 11-07-2000 03:59
I would assume that you are referring to an anti-spatter compound and not an actual oil. These have been designed to minimize adherance of spatter to nozzles and surrounding base metal during the MIG welding procedure. There are a few on the market that claim to be the best and I can recommend a couple of brands that do actually work. Send me an e-mail if you need any more info.
Parent - By jcrupert Date 11-07-2000 13:49
If you are not using antispatter spray I would not recommend using it. There is no substitute for a properly set up weld with minimal spatter and frequent cleaning of the weld nozzle. I have found that most companies overuse it and it causes more trouble than it is worth. Rather than addressing the real issues such as proper maintenance of the nozzle and proper low spatter procedures, they use a band aid such as antispatter compound. Take a stand against the welding industry which will sell you a product to cover up process inefficiencies rather than helping you fine tune your process so you do not need it. Is it possible that they do not know???

Don't get me wrong, antispatter can be effective if used properly. But most cases in which I have seen it used, it causes porosity problems. When I came to the company I work for now, they were using it on a lot of work stations. I have eliminated the use of antspatter on most of our equipment and we are better off for it.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-07-2000 17:35
We don't normally use a lot of anti spatter sprays where I work but do on some occasions. It is true that if a welder is using the correct technique and weld parameters the spatter will be minimal. However, we weld a lot of "unique" stuff nd have found the anti spat has some usefulness. As already mentioned, you would want to use a compound made for the purpose, not just any type of spray oil. Similar to"weldable primers" there will be times when they cause problems.
We also find that nozzles will collect quite a bit of spatter inside of them and need regular cleaning. Anti spatter sprayed inside them will reduce the build-up. BUT! You must be sure to run some welds on scrap or something to burn off the excess before doing production welds. Petroleum jelly also works as a "Nozzle-Gel". Just run some welds to get the nozzle hot, dip the nozzle about 1" into the gel, and run some beads to burn off the excess. Doing this once a day is usually all you need.
I know that many people will be horrified to read all this but it works IF you make sure all excess is removed and what is left sort of bakes onto the nozzle. Then there is nothing left to get into the weld.

CHGuilford
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-08-2000 13:58
Anti-Spatter sprays and Nozzle Dips are wonderful tools. While I was pushing a FCAW welding crew in a structural steel shop. I made sure that all my hands had those compounds on hand and knew how to use them. They pay for themselves 10 times over, in that enviornment, by reducing man-hours spent scraping BB's and cleaning/replacing nozzles & contact tips, greatly increasing nozzle, diffuser, and contact tip life, and in the long run, helping to prevent premature coatings failure.
All you have to remember is:
Spray Anti-Spatter around and below the weld joint to control BB's. Don't spray too much directly in the weld joint, but if some gets in there it won't hurt.
If you spray hot steel, hold your breath until it dissipates because the fumes will try to strangle you.
Start with a clean nozzle & tip, heat it up a little on a piece of scrap, stick it into the dip far enough to coat the diffuser, and then burn the excess on your scrap piece.
That will make your weldment and your MIG gun much easier and less time consuming to clean. Just don't over do it. A little goes a long way.
- By donald H Date 10-14-2010 02:18
i work in a shop that welds a lot of galvanized steel and aluminized steel ranging from 12 to 18 ga. and they push this spray on the welders like a drug . i refuse to use it because i set my peramiters up so that i dont get a lot of spatter from my weld .. i have tried and tried to tell these people that they are over using this spray and i cant get them to understand that even when i show them the difference in weld with it and with out it .. im certified in gmaw fcaw unlimited for carbon, stainless , and galvanized .. i see this place push a lot of welds out the door that look like crap {for a lighter term then what im thinking } i need to find a way to help this shop refine their ideas on better weld prosesses any ideas on how to help me get them off this bad habit ??????
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Protective oil coating; a stupid idea?